jump

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would be really worried about the 2oz little one that is tiny, normally at birth they should be at 3-4 oz in weight, was there any chance that this little one was concived after she was pregnant? keep a very close eye on her make sure she is feeding and is keept nice and warm as she will probley have a bit more trouble keeping warm then the others. make sure she gets enough nursing time and that she isnt being pushed aside by her litter mates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobcat4is_cool

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok i will keep an eye on him/her. her other litters she had 3 and 4 kittens. this is the most she has had. but we are going to fix her. how do you tell if the kitten was concived after she got pregnant? they are 5 days old.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bobcat4is_cool

oh. one more question when will they open up there eyes?
I've found it's somewhere between 5 days and 2 weeks. 5 days is the exception... I had one kitten out of three litters have her eyes open at that age. The rest were all between 1-2 weeks. And one that didn't open his fully until 16 days old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobcat4is_cool

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
should i split them up that way the lighter ones can eat then let the heavy ones eat then put them back together? is that 2 oz one to light?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for 5 days old yes that little one needs some attention. does she seem to be feeding ok?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe let her feed first, put the others in a box when its feeding time , and let her have 5-10 mins on her own, then put the others in, but only if this dosnt stress mum out to much.
but please be prepared for the worst, sometimes no matter how hard we try some just dont make it. but were all pulling for this little one , another thing to try and see if she is getting any milk is weigh her just before she has a feed , once she is finished feeding weigh her again just to see if she is getting any, but this will only really be noticable on an electrick weighing scale. but still maybe try it.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe wait till the others are asleep i wouldnt normally suggest this but then wake the little one up and put her with mum, she should start nursing. but if im wrong someone please post.
i would say start supplement feeding her , but you could over feed if she is feeding from mum.

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A kitten should weigh at least 90 mg when born and then gain 7-10 mg each day. By day five a kitten should weigh 125 mg. If a kitten was born weighing less than 90 mg the chances of survival are slim. I had one kitten that weighed 80 mg at birth, dropped to 60 mg over the first night and then when I supplemented gained 10 more mg. Even though I was bottle feeding him every 2 hours he never weighed more than 70 mg. He survived a week and then died last Sunday. We tried giving him and mom some one on one time so he could nurse, but she didn't want to be away from the rest of the kittens. Your best bet is to take on the role of mother and feed the little one by bottle. If he's feeding well, every 2 hours will be sufficient. If not try every 30 min to an hour. But please be careful you don't want to give up on the little one but you also don't ignore the fact that there's a chance this little one wont make it. Just do everything you can and hope for the best. You will also need to keep extra heat on this little one by placing a heating pad folded in half under a towel in the box with mom. Just make sure that the other kittens can move away from the heat if they get too hot.

Let us know how things go.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you can get some goats milk that will do fine, heat it gently just so its warm check it on your arm to make sure it isnt to hot or to cold. if not get some at a pet store, not sure what you get over there but i know of lactol, KMR there are a few others aswell. but goats milk is great some people find it better.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bobcat4is_cool

what milk should i use there are no pet stores around here?
And if you can't find the goat's milk... I know there are some types of KMR that you can get at Kroger's or Walmart, or you can also get it from your vet.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make bottles specifically for kittens, but if none are available you can use either a syringe (without the needle!) or an eyedropper. Be VERY careful when feeding, if they drink it too fast it can get in their lungs and they can get pneumonia.