Juicy Wet Food Only

cd1515

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Strange problem, my 8-yr-old only eats about half of whatever wet food I put out, and I’ve tried many different kinds.
I’m not overfeeding, usually it’s only a 2-oz Sheba or something similar... but she’ll basically just suck all the juices out of the food, leaving a dried blob behind.
Is there something else I can give her that will be mostly or all juices, or is that unhealthy?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any wet is better than no wet. The main reason for wet food is the moisture, so as long as she is getting dry as well, i wouldnt worry about her not finishing the wet. Is the sheba she gets pate, or minced pieces? maybe try some different textures? mine like nutro minced, mainly the chicken. Weruva has some good shredded foods, and mine like fussie cat, chicken and gravy. If you have a petstore nearby pick up a few cans of different brands and flavors, and types. I have been known to shake the cans to see what sounds the most liquid. If you can find Tiki cat after dark it has a lot of broth my cats love.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she come back and eat the chunks later? Maybe try stirring it up and leaving it out for a little while. Or maybe try cutting the chunks up so they are easier to eat. My cats prefer Shreds because they are easier to eat. Have you tried pate? That can be watered down until it's like a soup. Another trick I've tried is putting wet food on top of dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cd1515

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Shebas are pate and no she doesn’t come back and eat the chunks later.
I’ve tried mixing in a little water, warming them up in microwave, still nothing.
I will try the shreds, thx for advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - pouch foods have more gravy, so if you haven't you could try those since she seems to be a gravy gal. She's probably getting a little bit of the actual food as she's licking the plate, and combined with the gravy, she should be getting a fair bit of the nutrients so you're probably ok.
However, have you tried adding some tuna or tuna juice to tempt her to eat the actual food itself? Would she like goat milk mixed in? Some no onion/no garlic baby food?

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lotus brand has a series of "Just Juicy" that includes pork, chicken and also turkey. My one cat loves the Just Juicy pork. The chicken and the turkey didn't go over as well. But the food has a lot of moisture in it. Weruva brands are usually very brothy as well.