Journey with me (us)!

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hooray for babies!   How many did you get?   I can't wait to see pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thunderup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

All is well with Jojo and her SIX newborns. Mama just ate some dry food and babies have been latched on and napping comfortably.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure to give her a dish a day of KMR to drink. With 6 kittens to nurse she really needs the calcium. And lots of wet food also!

Watch for a runt or two who are not getting prime nipples or getting pushed off. They may need supplementing.

Have you weighed the kittens yet?

thunderup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words and advice. Making sure to keep mama's nutrition going strong to provide for the babies. She's eating tons already. I'll be weighing the babies in the AM. Mama was showing some stress and I just decided to let everyone rest for tonight because they're all doing so well. I'm trying to be as minimally invasive as possible and let nature do its thang.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds good. Mom needs plenty of nutritional support and as little stress as possible. We'll be here! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

thunderup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say to feed mama "lots of wet food", how often and how much do you mean?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right!

Depending on how much you give her at each feeding, it could be six times a day. It really needs to be unlimited with a mom nursing six kittens. They will deplete her, and she'll be ravenous as time goes on. Wet food is more nutritious for her now than dry.

thunderup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got it! She's got dry food constantly but I've been giving her a quarter can of wet food every hour since delivery. I guess she'll stop eating it when she's full. Just don't want to under feed her.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jojo is a beautiful cat - l love her coloring! And it looks like she's got herself a fine set of kittens! Thank you for taking care of all of them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're doing great!

We've had nursing cats on the forum who eat a full can 4 times a day, depending on how many they are nursing. You'll need to play it by ear, but nursing 6 is a big deal. I think you'll get a sense for how much she needs in the next day or so. If she's scarfing a small amount quickly, she needs more. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

thunderup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any pointers on weighing the kittens without upsetting mama too much?

thunderup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate you checking in, SuzanneF! They're all doing wonderfully! I'm feel so fortunate and am not taking it for granted. Mama is eating like a champ and kittens are nursing and sleeping like pros. Their little ears are starting to unfold and it's so precious.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful to hear! Please keep us all updated and post pictures when you can. We love kittens and their moms!