Josef Ratzinger elected pope

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i told my bf when the popes funeral was on that HE WAS GOING TO BE THE POPE!
i dont know how but i just knew he was going to be because they had showed him more often on tv more than the others and he stands out alot from the others too!
i win my bet now

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excelent for him. What an honor to be elected in. Hopefully he can live up to pope john paul II's ideals and make a difference in this world as well.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Pope Benny when he went inside after giving his first speech on the balcony:

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

This is Pope Benny when he went inside after giving his first speech on the balcony:
Oh my! This
sign while acceptable in the US, apparenly is quite insulting in Italy representing the horns of the devil. Are you trying to make some subconscious statement
?

globalspot28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought they might go with an Italian again. It's good to have variety. I would like to see a black Pope some day.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bumpy

Oh my! This
sign while acceptable in the US, apparenly is quite insulting in Italy representing the horns of the devil. Are you trying to make some subconscious statement
?
LOL, wasn't even thinking about that!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Sorry, but I can't agree this is positive news for the Catholic church...

Please see the following statement in article below.

"In the days leading up to the conclave, Ratzinger published a book in Germany, arguing that Europe must reclaim its Christian heritage."

That disturbs me to the core.

http://www.ctv.ca/generic/WebSpecial...ratzinger.html
That really bothers me about his stance against "radical feminism." I wonder what he considers "radical"? Women who choose a career over starting a family? Women having jobs in the first place??
Also, if they can be believed, this new pope, according to Nostradamus (from what I've been told anyway), will be the world's final pope.....whatever that may mean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Sorry, but I can't agree this is positive news for the Catholic church...

Please see the following statement in article below.

"In the days leading up to the conclave, Ratzinger published a book in Germany, arguing that Europe must reclaim its Christian heritage."

That disturbs me to the core.

http://www.ctv.ca/generic/WebSpecial...ratzinger.html
Are you aware of the background? The EU is trying to get its constitution ratified by the member countries. JPII asked that a statement to the effect that Europe is Christian be included in the constitution, and the EU refused.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well.... not the least surprised here. I already knew it from the start.

The other possibility was Cardinal Sodano from Spain, and while I liked a hispanic in there, even hardcore conservative Ratzinger was better than a hard line Franquist who is a personal friend of Pinochet.

We might just have another event like this soon. Last time we had a pope the age of Benedict XVI (John XXIII) he lasted only like five years.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm actually going to be in Rome tomorrow - so it will be kind of interesting to be there at this historical time

The Italians were exepcting an Italian pope though (accordingly to my Roman colleague)...

Ratzinger has some REALLY conservative views... so it's going to be interesting to see how his papalcy shapes up

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alexa

I'm actually going to be in Rome tomorrow - so it will be kind of interesting to be there at this historical time
Wow, lucky you. Boy Voyage!!!
Originally Posted by alexa

Ratzinger has some REALLY conservative views... so it's going to be interesting to see how his papalcy shapes up
That's what I've heard, too. Apparently, he considers homosexuality to be a moral "evil".....hmmm...
I guess we can forget about a more tolerant Catholic church in the near future.

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bumpy

Oh my! This
sign while acceptable in the US, apparenly is quite insulting in Italy representing the horns of the devil.
It reminds me of a mounted deer with antlers.