Joined a month ago

onlinefeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I joined a month ago, had computer probs, long story short got a new one and back online. When I first joined I had a question about my male cat, Spike, peeing. I have 2 cats, Spike a neutered male, Sparkle un-spayed female (but that w/b rectified in 5 days). They have lived together for over a year and I had severe fiancial hardships and had to give up our apt and move in a crowded place with 2 un-disciplined, loud 2 & 4 yr old kids and a dog and sleep in the living room. The cats would hide in the closet all day, and come out on the couch with me at night when the kids were asleep. 3 months ago I found us a great new home. My own room, nice kids not brats, in fact the cats love them.  No problems until we had been here a month. A full month. Then Spike, the male, started peeing, not spraying, but peeding on the children's air mattresses. Their daddy, a wonderfual, kind man who adores Spike, had just moved in the apt and they don't have regular beds yet. Anyway, Spike kept peeing on their beds Sheets and all.  Actually, it was one corner at the top of one bed.  My room gets very hot in the afternoon and our main air conditioner not enough so I have to get one for my own room which again will be in a week now that I'm back on my feet financially. Meanwhile, the past month, I had to sleep in the kid's room where it was cooler. I, too, had an air mattress.  The kids were sleeping in their Daddy's room because their bedding was satuarated with cat pee. The whole time I slept in there, he didn't pee on MY mattress. Now, several weeks later, we put the other air mattress down for the girls and in the morning he squatted right there in front of me an peed on it!

Had to wash the sheets etc again.  Then, my air mattress got a leak, and I had to sleep on a regualar mattress and move back into my room where it was. The old air mattress laid on the floor, deflated, for 24 hrs before he peed on it. Now, when thatair mattress of mine had been in my room he never peed on it. Nor did he pee on it the whole time it was in the kid's room. Only after it was flat on the floor with no air.It doesn't seem to matter whether the girl's matress had sheets or not..he peed on them. He uses his box during the day. It's only in the early morning hrs he does his thing. After everyone's gotten up.  He'd curl up in mine with me, several times slept at the feet of the girls. Never peed while they were in the beds.  This time last year we had to move 3 times.  Yet, I know he is happy here..house bigger, more room to run, he follows everyone around, even sleeps in the "Daddy" bed, which is a regular mattress, and never peed on that one either.

He's not stressed, eats bacon from man's hands, lays there and lets the little girls pet him as long as they want. It is quiet here. He doesn't hide during the day.I've never had a problem with him like this. In the crowded place, though they hid most of the time, there was no peeing.

In the place I had originally moved from because the person I let stay with me ripped off my bank acct, etc, they had a kitten they had abused and it was so mean I finally had to have it put down. It bit me 13 times in 2 wks. during the time I kept trying to show him love, etc after I had thrown his owners out, my 2 cats wouldn't even use their litter box for fear of him attacking them. I had to put boxes behind my compter and one up in the cupboard way up high (That's where little Sparkle would stay for days on end..I even fed her there) During that time, my bed was constantly being peed on by both of them, Spike and the other little kitten. Then I moved into the crowded house. No more peeing but I know my clothes still retained the smell cuz here in the new house after I un packed them I could smell it.Still my room here smells yet there's never any peeing in here. Last month Sparkle went into heat.  but during that time, no peeing. It really does seem to be the mattressess. The only solution is keeping Spike in my room at nite cuz my roomate, much as he loves Spike, don't dig the peeing like I understand, I don't either. After reading all this, can you help. Wanted to give you entire background. He also, since I've had him, almost 3 yrs (also a rescue cat) is quiet all day and most of the night til the early pre-dawn hours, then he starts meowing walking around

the house. Sparkle didn't come into our lives til a little over a year ago. Also a rescued cat. They get along wonderful, play etc. eat together,

Spike is at least 6 yrs old and Sparkle around 2. Any theories? Tried the citrus spray, etc but just the moment we didn't use it ....also, the one day the mattress was back on the floor and then that next day of peeing on my old deflated one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm..  This is a good question for the folks in the behavior forum!  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/5/behavior   One thing I've learned around here is that with cat urine; you have the REALLY clean the spot, usually with an enzyme cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) to get them to stop doing it.  They will come back to a spot because they've gone there before.  They can smell things we cannot.  I believe a black light can help you see if there is any left.  One of my cats went on one of my bath mats a few times.  I used the Nature's Miracle to saturate the area and then machine washed the rugs.  Only then did it stop.  It took a few tries to get it right.  I was trying to be stingy with the product I guess. 

If you haven't already; do check out the Behavior forum.  I bet they can help better than I can!

Welcome to TCS by the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

onlinefeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank  you, was just now going to figure out how to do that. I'm new to the site and just learning to navigate my way around it. So much to read, so many wonderful pix to see...I'm glad I found this site..I have a feeling I'm going to spend many happy hours on here!