Join us to lose weight

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

I don't follow it, I just make sure what I buy and make for dinner is healthy. How do you keep your budget that low?! I shop for two and spend about $120-$160 every two weeks.

BTW, what is your user name on sparkpeople so I can add you as a friend.
My username is amyleighwarren.

As far as my grocery budget, I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi and just supplement with Wal-Mart (for things you can't get at Aldi.) I do things like buying a whole chicken (for about $3) and cutting it up myself or roasting it whole vs. spending $5 on 4 chicken breasts. A roast chicken serves as dinner and then there's enough leftover for chicken salad at lunch the next day.

I went shopping today after printing off the sparkpeople grocery list (for the upcoming two weeks). It was 3 columns long on my notebook paper and I was scared how much it was going to cost. I went to Aldi first and got about 3/4 of it for $68 and then got the rest at Wal-Mart for $55. So it was less than $130 and I don't have to think about the meals. (I also got some extras for the girls included in those totals.) If you have an Aldi in you town, I highly recommend shopping there. Yes, you have to pay for your cart and bags (or collect boxes), but it ends up saving me about $40 every two weeks.

The meal plans on sparkpeople are very produce heavy and include very few processed foods, lots of whole wheat, etc. I think it will be fun to try for a while considering its not that much more expensive than our "not so good" meals. BTW, I picked the no red meat plan.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not follow the meal plans because I am picky about what I will eat, it was working out expensive for me and some of the meals took too long to prepare and I don't like that much of my life ready organised, so I make up my own meal plans (just choose 10 meals and print the recipes and stick them on the fridge and choose one each night)

To be honest, after a few weeks on SP I am finding my produce no longer goes to waste as I use it more and will snack on produce type foods rather than typical snacks and I am managing to stay under my calorie range by doing so even without the meal plans.

I do often pick recipes from their recipe section however.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

I shop for two and spend about $120-$160 every two weeks.
Me too and actually probably more than that, we spend about $100 CDN shopping for a week and still pick up bread milk etc during the week, but we also make lunches to take to work everyday and my BF has lots of not very cheap snacks that he *has* to have in his lunchbox

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

Just joined up. My screenname is JDMM1771!
Oh! So that's YOU, LOL!

For those of you with families - do you cook the recipes for your whole family or cook yours separately? I just found the menu/recipe section and am starting to get earnest about this whole thing.

redyave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I'm a Newbie... please see the Newbie forum where I posted my information, and the information about my babies!

I joined too!

Nice to meet you all!!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you with families - do you cook the recipes for your whole family or cook yours separately? I just found the menu/recipe section and am starting to get earnest about this whole thing.
Its just me and my BF so I tend to cook the same thing for both of us and just hive him extra or an extra piece of meat etc

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to have to try some of the meal plans again. I bought a bunch of veggie burgers and lean cuisine stuff a week ago and it was only $70 and I still have a bunch left (not that I have cooked ANY this week!)