Job question...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I DO think that I will be job searching.... It's just too much to expect out of 1 person, plus deal with all of their behavioral issues for what I'm being paid...and what was agreed to through the nanny service!

If they don't want to pay me more, then I will stop doing the extra stuff...if they don't like that I'm not doing it....tough. Fire me then because the nanny service knows my current situation!

Plain as that!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

I have my BS in elementary education and have been trained in the hold down method. I was holding the child in the hold down position when mom walked in. I never used it before with them, and of course he put up a struggle. Some parents don't like it, and from what I read and know about the mom, she is VERY protective with her children, even from their father and grandparents!

I seriously started to re-think things after almost being pushed down the stairs and vitually nothing being done about it by mom. They have hit and flailed with me before, at least every other day, sometimes more. It's better than it was when they were "testing" me though....
Yikes! And these parents expect a miracle from you for their children?

I personally think that you're taking way too much from these children. You said this is your first nanny job right? No offense, but I don't think this is any way for you to begin a nanny career. If you continue you will most likely feel jaded towards children the rest of your life, especially if its just you and no one else helping out.

Good luck job searching!!!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yeah, its my first nanny job, but I have several years working in child care! I just think of it as birth control!

Not just because of this, but I'll be leaving the field of education/ child care in the fall and will be going back to school for social work!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the children had their professional evaluations yet?? They sound like quite the handful and if the parents are responding opposite of what you are doing-how much of am impact can you make.
I would not do any additional services for them either.
Good luck!!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I just not do the extra stuff?

Mom called because one of the twins just got glasses and she wants me to take him to get them readjusted this afternoon! Short notice? Well, anyway the twin without glasses' has been officially diagnosed as ADHD as of the meeting with the psychologist today. The one with the glasses has to finish his testing before being diagnosed. The ADHD wasn't a surprise. Not sure if the other one just has anger/ impulse issues. His attention span is like that of a normal 5 year old. Who knows?

I am disciplining them according to what mom says is their method (which obviously they give in way more than than they expect from me).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Should I just not do the extra stuff?

Mom called because one of the twins just got glasses and she wants me to take him to get them readjusted this afternoon! Short notice? Well, anyway the twin without glasses' has been officially diagnosed as ADHD as of the meeting with the psychologist today. The one with the glasses has to finish his testing before being diagnosed. The ADHD wasn't a surprise. Not sure if the other one just has anger/ impulse issues. His attention span is like that of a normal 5 year old. Who knows?

I am disciplining them according to what mom says is their method (which obviously they give in way more than than they expect from me).
will they be medicating? if so, you'll probably see a drastic change in behavior. may make staying worthwhile. if they're not planning to medicate, then definitely continue the job search.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

will they be medicating? if so, you'll probably see a drastic change in behavior. may make staying worthwhile. if they're not planning to medicate, then definitely continue the job search.
I think that even if one gets medicated then there will probably be a drastic change in both.

EDIT: Wait, sorry, I misread your post

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they will be using medication until they are in school and have their first meeting with them!