Jimmy is having a breakthrough!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect it will set him back a bit when we move but with gentleness on our part and with the same animals and people I expect he will do fine.

AND, I got Star in the house finally......... She has been outside since last month when she saw me frontline the others. The last few days I have made a point to feed the ferals when some of my own were outside. Which makes her feel braver and so she will come up with them and eat. I have been petting her for three day up and down her back and scratching above her tail. And she has enjoyed that. So I tricked her. A few mintues ago, when several cats were eating outside, I was petting her squatting on the other side of her bowl and then I just scooped her up, placed her against my body, opend the front door and walked inside before she knew what had happened. I have felt she has wanted in the last few days because she has been running to the door when I open it but not venturing inside.

So right now, she is sitting on the back of the couch grooming herself. It has been so hot and I have worried about her. All the other get breaks from the heat by coming inside but not Star......... She has endured the entire heat wave. The other come to the door with tongues wagging but she just lays there like she is cool as a cucumber.

I told my husband she is indoors and to not let any cats outside. He can't tell tink, Angie or dovey apart. And he can't tell Star and Turtle apart. Many times he has came in the house carrying Turtle but saying "Star is letting me hold her" and I would tell him.."No, that is little Turtle"......

I am so glad she is in. She is not going back outside till our kitty enclosure is finished!

What a relief.....

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really is funny!! I ask him how in the world do you get them mixed up? Their voices sound different. To me, Tink look entirely different than Dovey and Angie. Tink is stocky. Dovey and Angie do look similiar but Dovey is smaller boned and meows all the time and they are just NOT THE SAMEW. And Turtle is much bigger than Star who by the way is still grooming herself. She seems very content in the house today. She might as well get used to it since it's for the long haul.

Here is Jimmy today.......resting is his crate. He has no idea he is getting ready for his big move...

The kittens have been in there with him today. I think he enjoys it but they eat his food so I have to keep refilling his bowls.

And here is Star Kitty Girl today... I think she's glad to be in...

Jimmy is doing great with our family and Star is inside. I can now relax........ whew......

Whew.........

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's one more of Jimmy with Hank eating his food. Jimmy is very relaxed with Hank with there. But the other two have been in there with him at the same time. Jimmy likes being crowded because he does not come out when they are in there.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad Star's inside! Sounds like you're ready to go.....

I'm sure they'll be fine. New spaces to get used to but... Two of our cats hid under a chest for a week when we moved. Tuxedo was out the first hour - he thought we'd bought the new home just for him, lol! (And I still can't get over how much Jimmy looks like Tuxie - the expressions are just SO similar in almost every pic!)

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I KNOW.......... I was looking at Tuxedo in his condo again yesterday and there is an amazing resemblance.......

It's truely remarkable.....!!

Jenn

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moving can be a bit traumatic depending on the cat. When i was about to move, I took Lucky and Rambo over (no furniture in the house) to take a look around. Lucky freaked out and started throwing herself at the windows (head first). Rambo was fine, but started getting upset at Lucky's behaviour. I ended up taking them back to the apartment to calm down. They next day I brought over most of their stuff, put them in one room and left them in there for the next few days. Before long...you would have thought i was a visitor in their house (i think i am....)

I'll be keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for the move!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll let you know how it goes Renny. I hope it goes without a hitch. When we moved to Missouri from Arkansas, my husband moved first and took two animals. When I moved up here, I moved the cats in groups in my large dog crate, some disposable crates and the regualar small crates. It took a two day period. This house we are working on is only 14 miles from where we live now so it will be easier.

When we moved before, Yellow got out of his disposable crate and showed his true personality. Remember he was a cat who just walked up with an old broken leg and crippled but was also fixed. He, upon getting out of his crate promply lay on the dash and watched the drive. He was not nervous at all and really enjoyed it. I could tell he has been on many road trips. We believe he was owned by some old woman who catered to him and something happened causing him to lose his home. Maybe a death in the family by his caregiver and we feel since he likes to roam, that no one could find him. He is a wonderful cat who has traveled before. It was obvious and very susprising. The others do not like it. They expect the vet at the end of the trip!! Boy do they have a surprise in store! We have decided we are not goingn to show them the kitty door. We are going to let them discover it. Husband and I have a bet going to see which cat find it first.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I do hope everything goes well, it sounds like it will be a purrfect home for them all.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it will...........and I feel like it will!!

As far as Jimmy, he is throughly enjoying his crate. He is staying it in the laundry room. I changed his covers yesterday and put a pillow in there for him which I think he likes???? He is on it.

But other than me sticking my head in his crate and saying hello, I haven't seen him. He is just sticking to the laundry room which he likes. It is private and right now he is into private time.

He'll be out in a few days or he might be out every night and sleep during the day. I just don't know....

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy is still enjoying his crate. In two weeks, he will be moving. We are nearly ready..........

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get in all the picture I can before we move.

Here's Jimmy tonight. He is in a roaming mood. He was sitting in the kitchen here eating soft kitty food in a bowl. I said his name and he looked around. Flash did not work right but he still looks georgeous. He is a rich black color.

He is doing good! But he has walked back and forth from the living room to the kitchen this evening several times. I had one of the strays fixed and he was in the house today. I have him outside now but Jimmy knows the difference. He is in here checking things out since someone new was in the house for hrs. He knows this is his territory!! I think he is glad Festus is back outside.......

He is making sure all is the same...........and it is.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have been packing for the move, Jimmy has been very social. He has hung out with the other cats and me for several days now... He knows something is going on.

Hank and Jimmy were visiting together in this picture. Jimmy is a good boy and is making quick progress again.

One other thing.........Jimmy has quit eating in the laundry area. Or drinking water there. He strickly comes in the kitchen now and shares food and water with the other animals. That is a wonderful thing and tells me how much more comfortable he is with all of us. Especially with the people. He walks around me all the time now but always keeping an eye out for quick movement on my part. I just carry on with whatever I am doing and he adjusts fine. He knows everything that is happening at all times. And he is comfortable around it.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy is a beautiful boy, and you have done an amazing job socializing him. It must be so gratifying to see how far he has come. I am so happy for both of you.
Good luck on the move.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great pic of Jimmy and Hank!
Jimmy is obviously thriving in your care, Jenn. Good luck with the big move!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is gratifing as hell. I got Jimmy April 19th, 2006. On my husbands birthday! I petted him a couple times the first month but he did not enjoy it much and I really think he let me because he was absolutely petrified. It was while he felt cornered so I quit trying to tame him or pet him. I just left him be hoping he would eventually fell comfortable enough to be around our family. I kept his area clean, kept him in food and water and talked to him all the time. I slept occasionally in the room with him. It took a couple months for him to venture from the bedroom.

My plan changed to Jimmy being like Star. Comfortable enough to hang out and lay on the couch and not worrying about someone touching him which he does not like. I think he will eventually. But first I want him comfortable around all of us.

He does not run and hide. I can approach him to within a couple feet and he just sits there. I can squat in front of him and I hold my hand out 8" or so from him and he just looks at me. I want him to come to me. I don't want to have to go to him. It will happen but it has not happened yet.

But...........he is now walking among us... This adult feral male has come a long way. It is so funny how he can tell different things are going on in the house right now. He is sitting and watching me pack familiar things. I can tell he wonders what is going on...
He is watching my every movement right now. The last three day I have been off and everytime I look up Jimmy is in the living room with me. He will sit by the wall and just stare at me. He is watching me with interest picking up the babies and kissing them and loving on them. He is watching me pet the others while they eat. And he is watching this with interest in his eyes.

He wants it too.......... I can tell. That is exactly what Star did. The first time I petted her was while she was eating with the other cats. She felt safe in their numbers. Jimmy is going to be like that.

I am making a point of walking toward him but not to him while he is in the room with me. And I am not looking him in the eye while I do it. I act like I don't see him and so he is relaxed about it. It seems to be working.

Getting Jimmy out in the open house is the largest psychological hurdle he will ever need to pass on his way to enjoy being loved on... It means he has over his fear of humans and a huge huge huge trust is being enstowed upon us humans in the house. And his fear is passing. I am watching it leave.

He is going to be loving one day........ Once he approaches me once, I can then start bribing him with goodies. Like baked chicken. Right now his in a bowl when he gets some. I dont' give him much of it. It is going to be his reward since he loves it so much.

And one more thing... When I moved Star to Missouri from Arkansas, she bonded closer and it helped her. I was familiar. The cats were familiar. So she hung closer to the pack since it was an unfamiliar area and that included me and it helped gentle her. I think Jimmy will be the same since he can tell a change is in the air.. He is joining the pack right now in a big way and integrating himself among us. He is finding his spot in our household. It took 5 months for that to happen. These last 5 months have been trying on him. He has slowly overcome many obstacles. Everything about humans filled his moments with fear. His house is the one place he need never to fear ANYTHING and he is realizing that now.

It is a day of miracles!!!

p.s. As I am updaing this, Jimmy just walked past me and is staring at my husband from a distance of about 3' while he lays on the couch. Jimmy is in there with him. Ultra cool. Just watching us. The others babies are napping but he checking us out. He is coming out not once daily, not twice daily but many times daily......... And he walks with his head high and erect. Not slumped and slinky like he is hiding. He is truely just walking though the house like any other cat that lives here... No more speed walking. Like I said, it's a miracle.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the above picture, Hank was attempting to pounce on Jimmy. Hank thought he was being sneaky. He lived in Jimmy's room when he was a baby. He was one of the ones that cuddled Jimmy. And Hank loves to play. He will get Jimmy playing when Jimmy comes into his own one day..

Star plays with them. I think Jimmy will too. But it is entirely possible he plays with them now when I am not at home.

But anyway, Hank was creeping up to Jimmy in the picture. Which was cute.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Tigger! Jimmy has come a long long way toward being domesticated. We still have a long ways to go but he is making great progess. Being able to come in the living room without fear makes me so proud of Jimmy.

I love having the trust of a feral. There is nothing like it!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don'thave a picture of it.....but.....I just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday while I was on the computer, Jimmy was laying on the couch with the other cats snoozing.....

He has really become social the last week.... He is doing so well the last few days.

He is even standing in the doorway to the laundry room watching me do chores. He just sits there.. He is FINALLY becoming unafraid....

It feels so good ...... It is how Star started out....... exactly the same.

But I always knew Jimmy had it in him to be a couch potato cat.. !!!

Also this might possibly be the last update for a bit. Friday we are moving and it will be just a bit before we have our new internet. We are getting satellite and it will take us about a month to get financially able to buy our dish. So Friday is MOVE DAY......... I won't be able to tell everyone how Jimmy did until I get back on line. But I anticipate no problems. We have it all done...... The finishing touches are the cat enclosure are being done this week....

Everything looks fantastic.... I don't have pictures yet but will try and get some uploaded before we lose our connection but I can't promise.

I'm going to miss posting but I'll be back.....

With love, Jenn and the Gang