Jimmy is having a breakthrough!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a true Jimmy update. For a while now, he has been coming inside and sleeping on the bed when noone else is in the bed.

Today, this morning, he was snoozing on the bed and I walked in the room. He stayed there which is nothing new. Then I sat on the bed and petted another cat..... And he stayed there but he did wake up and was alert and watching me.

I leaned over and lay down at the foot of the bed and he stayed there with wide eyes. I just kept petting the other cat. Jimmy stayed on the bed with us for approx 5 minutes before he got down..... Amazing.....

He is learning the beds and people at the same time are ok.......

Maybe eventually he will sleep on our feet.... That would be nice.

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey xo, that is not all........ I just sent Elly a msg telling her that I was trying to sleep just now [before work sleep] and Jimmy was on the bed and I did not realize it. I was under the covers petting Yellow and Flower. When I moved my feet is when he bolted down and went to he kitchen.

He had to have known I was in the bed because I was murmuring to the other two cats who were snugging.. There is no way he could not have known. I felt him jump up there but it never dawned on me that it was Jimmy...

It is a definate first....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great that he feels comfortable enough to sit on the bed while you are on it!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lat couple days I have been worming all the cats. Last night I got Jimmy crated and slipped him some soft canned cat food with his womr meds in it. He gobbled it down.

Oh, did i hear someone ask HOW I got Jimmy crated? He was in the house resting in a wire crate with a pad in it... I acted like I did not see him ans shut the door....

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

The lat couple days I have been worming all the cats. Last night I got Jimmy crated and slipped him some soft canned cat food with his womr meds in it. He gobbled it down.

Oh, did i hear someone ask HOW I got Jimmy crated? He was in the house resting in a wire crate with a pad in it... I acted like I did not see him ans shut the door....
You're so sneaky, Jenn.
Whatever works!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know yall had neted him but I have no net and I don't think I could use it. This was very non trumatic for him. He just sat there interested. What was helarious was the other cats and Muffin reaching their little arms in to attempt to grab his worm med. They wanted more!!!

Here he is just hanging out with his worm food..... That is Princess Minny Pearl with him by the way. They still love each other...

Elly he is looking good and doing good!! I have also this week changed the kitty's diets. They are science diet kitty's now.........!! One of the cats is in the hospital and the vet is putting him on a special diet for stones/crystals and so I am changing all of them..

Jenn

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that Jenn, but it doesn't surprise me. You are wonderful to animals, and I think that they know that.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cute pics, Jenn! I love seeing Jimmy and his princess!
It's true Millie did have to net to deworm him, but he was a different cat then. Thanks to you and being in real home environment, he's learned to trust humans.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn, what incredible updates!

Soon enough you'll be saying "How do I get Jimmy off of my feet? I can't sleep, and he won't leave me alone!"

Laurie

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soon enough you'll be saying "How do I get Jimmy off of my feet? I can't sleep, and he won't leave me alone!
OH I can't wait!!!!! It will be so wonderul.................

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's starting to happen now......

I am at work posting this right now. While I was getting ready for work..

Yesterday I threw a bunch of old blankets and stuff in the bottom of our closet planning on moving them today. Well, I never got around to it so while I was getting ready for work, I noticed Festus laying on our bed which is very unusual. He has started coming in side only the last week or so. I petted him for a few minutes and then turned around and saw Jimmy snuggled down in the old quilts in the bottom of my closet. I told him hi and went and sat down on the floor two feet or so from him. Instantly he did that thing cats do with their eyes...blinking slowly and all that. So I did it back like Hissy had mentioned once. hehe.... I felt silly but Jimmy like it. We comunicated. At about that time, Hank, Pebbles and Honey all came running and crawled over over me and Jimmy. I kept petting the others while Jimmy watched from a very vey close distance. In fact, I petted Hank while he was laying 2 inches from Jimmy. My hands were mere inches from Jimmy and he just lay there with his little front feet all tucked under him. He was not in a flight mode at all. He was totally relaxed. I reached over Hank and petted Jimmy's head. He hissed. hehehe But, he did not move at all or shrink back from my hand.

Hank moved and so I moved closer to Jimmy. I sat with him diredtly in front of me. He was not cornered. He had mega room to run if he chose to. But he stayed there while I talked to him quietly. I placed my hand a three or so inches on the quilt in front of him. and left it there. He did not move. He just listened while I talked to him. If I moved my hand closer than three inches he would hiss. He did not strike out at me at all or untuck his feet. His body language remained relaxed. But he did hiss... And what a little hisser he is. I am going to put some gloves on tomorrow with clear plastic ones on top so they will look like my hands. And I am going to try and touch Jimmy. I might put a little soft food on my finger tip and see if he will take it off...

Jimmy is going to like me one day.....

Heck, I can't sit in front of Star like this. She will nibble off my hand but the only way I can sit that close to her is is I have soft food or the brush. I would love to brush Jimmy. I might try that. Star saw how the others loved brushing and leg me try it. She closes her eyes when I brush her. I hope Jimmy likes the brush.. I will know in the next couple days. I am fixing to put subtle pressure on him.

He is ready. If I can sit 1 foot from him without him reacting, I think he is ready. But isn't that odd about my hand? My hand three inches away is fine but two inches draws a hiss...........hehe He is guarding that last two inches from loving. His resolve is slowly melting.... Husband tried to pet him yesterday as well while he was inthe crate and he hissed at him too. But he was in a crate. The fact that he was loose and could have run but allowed me that close to him is just a wonderful feeling... The thing that impresses me most about Jimmy is that his little front feet remained tucked the whole time. But when he hissed, he opened his mouth wide and showed me his teeth. I have never seen him hiss before. But he did not run. He's my big guy and he is going to get some loving one day and enjoy it.

It felt so good to pet his little head..... He has soft fur. I only petted him for a moment. When he hissed I quit. I have always let him decide what our limits are and this will be no different.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a wonderful post Jenn, you really are doing wonders with him, and i am sure it wont be long now to break that final barrier.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, Jenn, I was so happy to read your latest update about Jimmy. Those kleenex you sent sure came in handy. This is just huge! That sweet boy has obviously come to trust you. I knew it would happen eventually, given time and patience. I'm so excited for you and Jimmy and can't wait to hear how things progress. I suspect I'lll be needing more kleenex.

Thanks, Jenn, for opening your heart and home to Jimmy and showing him how to trust.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elly, I also thank you for trusting me with Jimmy's care ... After all, you met a stranger from the internet world and trusted them with a companion that you loved. Jimmy will always have a home with Juan and I....... we will always take good care of him. I promise you that. I had a good feeling about you when I read your first post about Jimmy and how concerned you were that he was going to be put out on the street again. I also have never met anyone from online. You and Jimmy are my first and probably my last... But the care in how you described Jimmy and his ordeal won me over.......

But I thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me your trust! I know it had to have been very hard to do.
There will be many more update as time passes. I suspect as years pass.... I will always be in touch with you somehow so you will always know how Jimmy is doing....

With love, Jenn