Jezabelle's Progress Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankfully she' starting to use her scratching pad, and one of her sheaths came off. Was so relieved about that.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great
Now that she has started using the pads, the claws will actually be sharper, but she will be less likely to get them stuck. The curve will be shallower and shorter.

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, within a day, she'd crawled up on me, laid on my leg for three minutes, then slept between my legs for about a half-hour, then later got mad at me when I crawled into bed with her and clawed/hissed at me (to which she just got disciplined with a very pissed me, haha.) 

Progress is being made. ::)

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to pet Jez this morning. Of course, she was sleeping, so when I set my hand on her and she didn't flinch, I didn't realize that, so I got to pet her for three minutes before she woke up, shook her head and I pulled her hand away. She refused to let me touch her the two times I tried after that, but hey -- I still pet her!

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't updated, guys. Between being busy and not feeling well, I've been a bit out of the loop.

Anyhow... last week, Jez got in bed with me and came RIGHT UP to me. I wasn't sure if she wanted something, and when I asked if she did, she sat down and looked at me. So, tentatively, I reached out -- and was able to pet her!

I've been able to do it since, but it's only on her condition, and she prefers her head pet more than the rest of her (though she will let me stroke her back.) Saturday will be my two-month mark with her!

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jez officially head-booped my hand for the first time today. I was thrilled beyond belief.

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay for the head boop!  

I got something called the emerycat.  Some cats like it, some don't, but it does help their claws even more than your typical scratcher.  As for trimming the claws, a vet's office will often get two people to do it. If she is skittish and you want her to trust you, I would get it done at the vet so that she doesn't associate you with that potentially dramatic situation.   

I would get a buttload of scratchers and have them all around.  

Also, does she respond to catnip?  You can put some on the scratchers to keep her wanting to use them.  Also, some of the holistic sprays might help her continue to relax.    

Lady Harriet likes to tuck her legs under herself too.  My boyfriend calls it the "hovercat" pose.  I once read cats do this to make themselves seem inconspicuous.  :-) 

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still trying to get her used to me touching her. She's becomming accustomed to the petting. I can't do it ALL the time, but she's not cringing away so much.

Oddly enough, she doesn't like catnip. She refuses to touch it, which has made that option a bit... difficult, haha. I sprayed some lemon juice on the doorframe in part to ward bugs off (because it's Texas and that happens sometimes,) and that's seemed to keep her away so far.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't like catnip, most likely she'll get off on honeysuckle. Since you are in the south it shouldn't be hard to find.

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Between work, some minor health stuff (mostly staph, but nothing I haven't dealt with before,) and allergy issues, I've been kinda bleh.

Buutttt...

Jezabelle's doing so well. I've started opening the door so she can explore (have been for the past few days,) and though she won't really leave my room, she did leave the room to make sure I was returning twice, then followed me into the bathroom and explored it for a little while I cleaned her water dispenser.

Also --most of the time she sleeps in my new bed with me, if not curled up directly beside me. She also climbs up on me and just lays there sometimes, and when persistent, keeps climbing even when I roll over to shrug her off, haha.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great to hear that. Give her a little more time, and she will probably be snuggled up to you like a leech at night. They quickly learn where the warmest place is.

kittykatattack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, she usually is, haha. She even wakes me up if she thinks I've been sleeping too long by kissing my arm or nudging my face with her mouth. hehe.