Jewel and Her Babies!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is not unusual. Most cats who breathe heavily while nursing need extra calcium. This can be immediately provided by giving mom a couple of dishes a day of kitten formula. It stops some heavy breathing almost immediately, but continue giving it daily until the kittens wean.

Nursing is hard work and takes a toll on mom’s body, so she needs extra calcium. You can also offer plain, full fat yogurt, cheese, or finely crush an egg shell and sprinkle it into her wet food.

Otherwise, she sounds fine. Try the formula and let us know if it helps!

C CritterLove99

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, I'm glad to hear that this might be somewhat common. Mommy has been getting formula for the last week already - is there a rule of thumb how much she should be getting? Does brand of formula matters? I was using this because it was the only thing locally available, but I could have KMR or KMR 2nd Step shipped from Chewy before I run out. I can add yogurt or cheese too that and see if it helps.

I have been trying to wean the kittens since last weekend with formula and kitten food mush, and ever since then momma kitty has been demanding her meals come with formula too. Also, weaning is going very slowly. Mommy is eating most of the kitten mush I put out.

The kittens are somewhat interested in the food and eat a small amount of mush but are still nursing (and gaining tons of weight per day). Mommy is small and quite young, and I'm worried maybe they are just taking too much from her and it's stressing her out. She really looks like she is losing a lot of weight. I may try separating them for short periods to help encourage them to wean and give her a break.

I also completely forgot to mention that mommy has had a few bouts of aggression towards the kittens this week. Biting their heads til I heard them scream and I had to run over and boop her head and say "No!" to get her to stop. She did stop right away and she is still grooming and loving on them, and runs over and cries if she hears them cry out while playing too rough with each other, but that really scared me. Maybe it's bc she is a young mommy and is just stressed. It's only happened 3 times - the third time was just before typing this which reminded me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like mom needs more food in general. Make her a plate of the mush too, in addition to her wet food — and dry food should be out 24/7.

If mom is young and still growing herself, she especially needs extra nutrition now. Boil chicken and give her shreds and broth - no spices just salt. She might like scrambled egg also.

Cat moms do discipline their kittens, so you will see her being a bit rough with them at times. Do break it up if it gets too rough as you have already, but this is how they learn kitten manners.

The kittens will wean when they are ready — most by 6-8 weeks. Be patient!

Also, you might want to order vitamin paste from Chewy for mom, and the PetAg from Walmart is just fine!

Keep us posted!

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will try the boiled chicken and eggs too. She declined canned chicken and canned tuna so far but I'm willing to try all the things just to get her to fatten up a bit. I finally got her to sit on the scale today and she was about 6.2 lbs. When we went to the vet last month she was 8 lbs.

She is getting the formula with the wet food in the same dish slightly mushed already, not separate since she won't eat the wet food without the formula now. She's really adamant about that.

I might try to make a water moat around a bowl so I can leave dry food out. We have a terrible ant infestation every year, including now, so I've never left food out for more than a half hour but I agree that might help her gain more weight between wet feedings. Hopefully she doesn't demand milk in that too 🙃

I will look into vitamins at Chewy, thank you for that tip!

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am rehoming kittens of a a pregnant stray kitty I found earlier this year (she is now spayed).

I think I've found a good home for the last kitten, but the owner also has two young male kittens. I'm not sure of their exact age but she said they are close in age to my kitten or a little older (my kitten is 3.5 months old), and they won't be neutered for another 2 months. My female kitten that I'd be giving to him is set to be spayed in 2 months as well (exactly @ 6 months old).

We only have one vet in town and we're semi-rural, and our vet won't spay/neuter before 6 months. There aren't a lot of other options unless you are willing to drive almost 2 hours to the nearest big town.

Should I be concerned about rehoming my kitty with the two males? I don't want her to get pregnant before her appointment comes up.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The money bet its OK, males are seldom fertile at that time... And they arent very skilled in what to do... But I would take this bet only when forced to...
Also, it will hand literally on weeks.

You dont use the Pill in USA, so perhaps plan on supervising in days, separation when not superwised, the last month? Or letting ony of them carry stud trousers when not supervised...

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,that's wonderful that they all have been adopted- hats off for caring for them all!

Here where I live early spaying/neutering is the common practice-they have found there are alot more benefits and less risks,the earlier the better,simpler .I remember back when I was in school the 6 month rule of thumb

Perhaps the person with the males can get them nuetered before the female arrives?Is that something you can suggest?It's not likely the young males will know what to do at such a young age (as StefanZ StefanZ mentioned) but it can happen,I'd be concerned as well...he also gave some good suggestions.

I know I'd be driving 2 hrs for peace of mind but that is alot and I completely understand if you did not opt to travel so far.....

It's a pleasure meeting you,please keep us posted and photos are always welcome!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had feral female kittens spayed at 5 1/2 months and they were all ready pregnant, so it's not impossible for the girls to conceive before 6 months. You also need to consider that male cats will have enough testosterone in their systems to impregnant a female cat up to 30 days after neutering.

However, as Stefan said, young male cats won't be as fertile as adult toms. And if they do manage to do it and you go ahead with the spay for the female kitten at 6 months anyway it will only be in the very early days of the pregnancy. It's easier for a vet to spay a cat that has recently mated then it is to spay one that is in heat because during the heat cycle her womb will be engorged with blood.

If you absolutely can not bear the thought of spay-abort I would ask the new owner to keep them separate until after they have all been fixed.

When is she going to her new home? We usually suggest that people keep new cats away from resident cats and do a slow introduction to make sure everyone gets along well.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

Maybe the introduction period could also be the spay-and-neuter period?

Are you taking her to the vet to be spayed, or is the new owner? It's safe to spay or neuter once the cat weighs more than 1 kilo, so if she's already reached the weight could you tell a little white lie and add a few weeks on to her age?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are taking chances rehoming her into a household with 2 intact male kittens. How can you trust the new owner to do the right thing and keep the kittens separated until all are spayed and neutered and recovered? This reeks of trouble and you are right to be concerned.

I’ve seen 4 to 5-month old kittens starting to bite the necks of females in an attempt to mate. By 6 months, male kittens can do it.

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I told the owner the earliest she could be adopted is Tuesday but only if she is cleared by my vet. This kitty has conjuctivits that I've been treating for over a month. When her treatment was initially completed, her little eye swelling came right back so the vet put her back on her eye drops. This Monday is our follow up appointment. I want to be sure she is 100% healthy before I rehome her.

My original plan was to do the 4 hour round trip to get the kittens spayed/neutered early in the big town nearby that does early fixing, but it's around 100 degrees every day now and I just worry if something were to happen on the way there that they'd be in danger. I just bought an old beater car and I don't yet know how reliable it is on long trips.

I do worry that the new owner might not keep them separate before they are spay/neutered, and there's really no way for me to know once she goes home. The prospective owner is very very excited about this kitten and I'd hate to dissapoint her, but ofc the main concern is this kittens wellbeing.

All of this still hinges on her being medically cleared for rehoming first though. I will not be rehoming her until my vet assures me she is totally cured of her conjunctivits. I think the stress of rehoming could extend her illness and I'm also not sure she would allow the new owner to put eyedrops in twice a day.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I told the owner the earliest she could be adopted is Tuesday but only if she is cleared by my vet. This kitty has conjuctivits that I've been treating for over a month. When her treatment was initially completed, her little eye swelling came right back so the vet put her back on her eye drops. This Monday is our follow up appointment. I want to be sure she is 100% healthy before I rehome her.

My original plan was to do the 4 hour round trip to get the kittens spayed/neutered early in the big town nearby that does early fixing, but it's around 100 degrees every day now and I just worry if something were to happen on the way there that they'd be in danger. I just bought an old beater car and I don't yet know how reliable it is on long trips.

I do worry that the new owner might not keep them separate before they are spay/neutered, and there's really no way for me to know once she goes home. The prospective owner is very very excited about this kitten and I'd hate to dissapoint her, but ofc the main concern is this kittens wellbeing.

All of this still hinges on her being medically cleared for rehoming first though. I will not be rehoming her until my vet assures me she is totally cured of her conjunctivits. I think the stress of rehoming could extend her illness and I'm also not sure she would allow the new owner to put eyedrops in twice a day.
That makes perfect sense with a car you are not confident in,good thinking!
I have to say I share the same sentiment as @Sarthur,personally I would require the owner of tye male kittes to have them nuetered before releasing the female to her home ,earlier I asked if you could "suggest" it but in all honestly if it were I that would determine whether or not she was a candidate for adopting -if she's that excited I would hope she'd do whatever it takes to provide tye best possible environment for the new arrival

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm inclined to agree re: spay first. It's not worth the risk. Having an intact female around may also cause her males to begin spraying. Urinary issues are a big cause for rehoming.

8 weeks is a long time for a lot to go wrong.

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I will talk to them about having the males spayed before allowing my girl to go home to her. If she isn't able to drive out of town for any reason I'll just hold on to kitty until she is spayed and hopefully the new owner will be willing to wait for her.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I will talk to them about having the males spayed before allowing my girl to go home to her. If she isn't able to drive out of town for any reason I'll just hold on to kitty until she is spayed and hopefully the new owner will be willing to wait for her.
Happy to hear,I think it the wisest decision-good things are worth waiting for !Good going,you've done well

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty had her checkup today and the vet said she likely has feline herpesvirus. Her eye is looking a lot better but apparently this is a lifelong thing and can have flareups. After looking it up it seems like it is pretty common - do any of you all have experience with this?

Also the adoptee decided she did not want her anymore due to this diagnosis. I am thinking I may just keep her myself - all of the other kittens have been adopted but it took 2 months to find homes. There are a ton of feral/dumped/stray cats here and our shelter is always full. One more little kitty can fit in my home.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty had her checkup today and the vet said she likely has feline herpesvirus. Her eye is looking a lot better but apparently this is a lifelong thing and can have flareups. After looking it up it seems like it is pretty common - do any of you all have experience with this?

Also the adoptee decided she did not want her anymore due to this diagnosis. I am thinking I may just keep her myself - all of the other kittens have been adopted but it took 2 months to find homes. There are a ton of feral/dumped/stray cats here and our shelter is always full. One more little kitty can fit in my home.
I thought your decision before was the best news but you keeping her is even better than best!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU.... I know how this goes ""Im THINKING of keeping her" lol- so what are you naming her?❤❤❤❤❤❤👍😻

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, for now you are keeping mom. Sometimes the universe dictates what we should do, and I always believe in what the universe says. Thank you for keeping her. I hope it all works out. Blessings!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

About 90% of cats born in cities have this. Sometimes it effects more cats than others. It's benign in many cats. Her cats have likely already had it and could even be carriers. Too bad. But honestly, glad you are keeping her!

Conjunctivitis - Feline Herpes Viral Conjunctivitis | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals).

CritterLove99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if I should reach out to the people who adopted her siblings to let them know that their kittens probably carry herpesvirus? None of the others ever showed any symptoms - and I am a bit of a worrywort so I was checking them constantly. If it's that common maybe it's not a big deal?

Oh and her name is Sunny.
SunnyonBlanketMini.jpg

Also I realize now I had another thread about these kittens - apologies if this question should have been posted there! And thank you again for everyone's advice, you all have been so so helpful to these kittens, especially little Sunny.:hearthrob: