Jerking, tics and spasms when sleeping - should I be concerned?

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jessie is an orange rescue kitten, now about 7 months old. A really spunky kitten gotten to be a play pal for Artie, my Ragdoll, now 9 months old. She can hold her own in rough play, and they really love each other… and me too!

I've noticed when she is sleeping that sometimes she will jerk, a limb, her face, for a second or two, but today it was more than that. Despite her active nature, she is growing into being a real snuggle bunny. A week ago she would squirm if I held her more than few seconds, now I can carry her across the room, and she will jump up to sleep between my legs when I'm laying on the couch. So cute when she puts her head on my leg. Gosh, getting carried away - what can I say? I'm a new Cat Daddy.

While napping, I'm used to her jerking for a second or two… but today she was out cold when I saw her shaking all over. Now these were tics and jerks, nothing like a full leg movement, even her face and whiskers were twitching. Although the lighting was low I saw that her eyes were about 1/3 open, third eyelid across the eyes and I think (but not sure, like I said, low light and no glasses) it looked like her eyes were darting back and forth.

Ah, perhaps she was dreaming and I've heard that in some cats that the movement suppression accompanying dreams is out of whack… because REM sleep is supposed to paralyze muscle movement. What I don't know is if these movements affects a cat's health long term, or even if that is what is going on. I was able to actually touch her and examine her eyes during this without her waking up (I guess that goes along with being unresponsive while dreaming?).

Okay, bottom line is that she will have jerky and tic-like movements while sleeping (apparently more so than I originally thought). Anyone know about this? Is it something that I ought to be concerned about and investigate further?

(Slight off topic, but it occurs to me that as a rescue kitten, she may be inbred? So maybe more prone to this kind of thing? Just a thought. She was found in a parking lot and wound up being fostered with a foster mom that had momma cat with three kittens about her age because, at the time, the Rescue was full.)

Picture at the rescue home:

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/1910/lbbf.jpg

Just a couple of days ago:

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/1842/7tic.jpg

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's just dreaming.  It's perfectly normal.  Sometimes, depending on how deep a cat is asleep, the movements will be more intense.

She is adorable!! Love that darker patch of orange on her head.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat does this. Sometimes it's intense and he chirps! I bet he's dreaming he's hunting down prey.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! It sounds like she was having a very exciting dream!

My cats do this, too, where they're out cold and having a deep dream about who knows what (I'd really like to know this). 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well then, EVERY dream must be "exciting." Today it included ripples across her back and actual paw movements. I guess I was concerned because I read of a study many years ago on REM deprivation in cats (1970's) by making them sleep on a very small "island" surrounded by water. REM paralysis made them fall into the water and wake up... but it seems that this isn't always the case.

I've seen cats twitch in their sleep before, just never as much as Jessie. Probably harmless, just was wondering if there are any correlations with neurological conditions and this? Eh, that's probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Chirping in sleep? Sounds funny. So I guess I'll just consider her "funny" in her own way.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten has a lot of tics and spasms when sleeping, REM sleep I suppose. Like right now, he is sleeping in front of me and all four paws and his tail are twitching. Often he gets facial twitches and you can hear little sounds like teeth or lips chattering.  Sometimes it looks like his whole body is shaking. But I really think it's quite normal. I've read about cats that jerk so much it throws them to the ground, and I think that would warrant investigation. But if Jessie can sleep through all her twitching, I wouldn't worry about it. When I see Jasper sleeping that deeply, often belly up on his back, I think it's great that he feels so safe he can sleep without a care in the world