Jealous male cats not getting along :(

pyxigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I am hoping for some advice on how to handle this situation with my cats.

I have a 1 year old tabby cat named Milo, whom I have had as an only cat since he was a kitten. He is neutered and has been very happy and well adjusted, until I about one month ago I adopted another male cat. I adopted the other cat because I wanted Milo to have a companion and friend, and because I love tabby cats. The new cat is named Mojo, he is a 6-7 year old neutered male tabby/bengal cross. When I first brought him home I kept him strictly in my bedroom with his own food/water dishes and litter box. I kept the door closed at all times and him and Milo interacted with each other under the door, there was a lot of growling and hissing from Milo, but Mojo was very calm towards Milo, or so I thought. Eventually I started letting them see each other, and finally let them approach each other.. Milo would hiss and growl but back off, but Mojo would remain very calm and make direct eye contact and approach Milo, come right up to him and sniff him, very sure of himself. I thought Mojo was being friendly, now I am wondering if he was being dominant all along? Anyways, the cats remained standoffish towards each other but I thought they were doing fine until one day Mojo suddenly attacked Milo for NO reason, Milo was laying on the floor sleeping and Mojo ripped him apart, tearing fur out and screaming. After that Milo started being very scared of Mojo and spending more time outdoors away from us. Now he always shies away from Mojo and skulks around the house, moody and timid. Milo doesnt want  affection from any of us anymore, he always has dark eyes and a grumpy look on his face and has become  very icolated from being a part of the family. Mojo is VERY confident in himself, he doesnt attack Milo anymore, but he comes RIGHT up to Milos face and sniffs him, he also comes charging over and scares Milo away if I try pet Milo. Or if Milo comes on my bed when I am there, Mojo jumps up and pushes Milo out of the way and tries to get all my attention. So basically, the cats arent tearing each other apart or fighting THAT badly, but I feel very sad for Milo, I adopted another cat party as a companion for him, now he has become the lower rank in the household and Mojo is the "king" cat.. Milo seems sad and withdrawn, it makes me so sad for him. Is there anything I can do to boost Milos confidence? and how should I react when Mojo comes running and tries to push Milo away and get all my attention?

Thanks so much for any help..

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing is keep their claws trimmed. Then try a Feliway diffuser.  It puts out pheromones that say "calm cat".  You may have to re-introduce them to each other.  Mojo is now the alpha cat, and Milo gets the leftovers (attention and so forth).

It might help if Milo has a place where Mojo can't go.  That way Milo can interact with you without being pushed out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pyxigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Feliway diffuser if they arent too expensive. thanks :)