Jealous Kitty

helichickadee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, sorry if its a bit long. Just over a year ago we found a one-day old abandoned kitten (we did the whole make sure it was safe, leave it for the mother to come back thing and she never did). We bottle raised her and she is a great cat, not cuddly during the day but she loves to play and she is extremely active. It was obvious Rogue was lonely when we were at work so when she was about 6mths old we went to the shelter and adopted another female kitten the same age. The new kitten, Bandit, was very shy at first but has really settled in well. The problem we are having is that Rogue will play with Bandit if there is no person or object involved but if I pay attention to Bandit, Rogue gets jealous and upset. At night Rogue sleeps with me and if Bandit tries to sleep with us as well Rogue gets up and bites her on the neck, not hard but a dominance thing. Bandit loves Rogue and tries to wash her and kiss her and Rogue wants nothing to do with her affection. She won't share toys or time with us. There is no food aggression or fighting its just we would love for Rogue at the very least not be jealous of Bandit and at the best actually be her friend. Any suggestions?
Bandit and Rogue.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you said "we" so there are two of you and two cats! Try giving treats, pets, cuddles, play at the same time. One idea -- cats respond well to cues. Do you have a call noise that you use to summon them for petting or treats? If not, develop one by linking it to treats given together. Then use it in the bedroom. Exclude them both till your ready, then use the noise, and give them both treats and attention on the bed together, provided Rogue isn't being aggressive. That sort of thing.

You can't ever make two cats be cuddle buddies. And some lasting jealousy over food and attention is normal too. But I'm sure you can improve the situation some and get them into a good spot since they are already playing during the day.