Jake got out of the HOUSE!! (ETA: Jake's back!)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Addie, I'm SO GLAD Jake is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart2: :heart2: :heart2:

As to the FIV.... I know the one week and three days felt like forever. :hugs: BUT... even if there was a bite wound that happened on his first day, one week and three days might not be enough time for him to test positive for FIV even if that's when the transfer occurred. It can take a month to six weeks after a kitty has received the FIV to develop enough antibodies to test positive.

As FIV is such a slow acting virus, it is entirely possible for ANY rescue kitty to test negative - and that's all a shelter cares about.

Chumley was treated for an abscessed bite wound when he was neutered. If we had him tested for FIV and FeLV then via the SNAP test at the vet's office, he most likely would have tested negative. Then, a month later, when the spot opened up at the rescue for him, they would have their paperwork that said he was FIV negative, and he would have been fostered and adopted out. And someone would have a kitty with chronic diarrhea and allergies, and they'd be pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to treat him - yet the entire time, his health was compromised by the FIV virus, which they have a paper that says he doesn't have it.

But that's not what happened. We fostered him for a month, and when the spot opened up, we THEN had him tested. And he tested positive. But his body was still "percolating" the virus, because when we did the confirmatory test (the SNAP test looks for enzymes in blood or saliva, which is not always accurate, and thus the many false positives. The Western Blot test looks for two specific antibodies - so no false positives or negatives), he only tested positive for one of the antibodies - so he was fighting the virus, but it was building in his system. And that was more than a month after he was bitten.

Many rescues are familiar with this process - so kitties are tested as soon as they come in. This is how so many kitties that are FIV positive wind up being adopted. And families, 10 years later, when their kitty tests positive after a vet suggests testing for it because they haven't been able to fix a problem, are left wondering just how their kitty contracted the disease, because he's an indoor-only kitty.

But all FIV+ really means is that when kitty does get sick, it needs to be treated more aggressively - basically with stronger antibiotics and sometimes for longer. They often have issues with their gums and teeth, so annual dentals are a minimum, and depending on the kitty, every six months is a good idea. Steroids are contra-indicated, so if allergies crop up, it's best to address the problem through diet and omega-3 supplementation, that kind of thing.

I know this is a shock. :hugs: But please, ask ANY questions. This is the best reference website out there: http://www.fivtherapy.com. If you want, you can see if there is a holistic vet that can work with you on the 2nd treatment course (all herbal) to help prevent the progression of the disease (and potentially reverse it to the point he tests negative for it). You can see if there's one in your area by searching here: http://www.ahvma.org

....and this is all assuming the SNAP test wasn't a false positive. The only way to know is to have the Western Blot done. Here it costs $135 or $145, depending on the vet that does it.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Addie, I'm SO GLAD Jake is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to the FIV.... I know the one week and three days felt like forever.
BUT... even if there was a bite wound that happened on his first day, one week and three days might not be enough time for him to test positive for FIV even if that's when the transfer occurred. It can take a month to six weeks after a kitty has received the FIV to develop enough antibodies to test positive.
As FIV is such a slow acting virus, it is entirely possible for ANY rescue kitty to test negative - and that's all a shelter cares about.
Chumley was treated for an abscessed bite wound when he was neutered. If we had him tested for FIV and FeLV then via the SNAP test at the vet's office, he most likely would have tested negative. Then, a month later, when the spot opened up at the rescue for him, they would have their paperwork that said he was FIV negative, and he would have been fostered and adopted out. And someone would have a kitty with chronic diarrhea and allergies, and they'd be pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to treat him - yet the entire time, his health was compromised by the FIV virus, which they have a paper that says he doesn't have it.
But that's not what happened. We fostered him for a month, and when the spot opened up, we THEN had him tested. And he tested positive. But his body was still "percolating" the virus, because when we did the confirmatory test (the SNAP test looks for enzymes in blood or saliva, which is not always accurate, and thus the many false positives. The Western Blot test looks for two specific antibodies - so no false positives or negatives), he only tested positive for one of the antibodies - so he was fighting the virus, but it was building in his system. And that was more than a month after he was bitten.
Many rescues are familiar with this process - so kitties are tested as soon as they come in. This is how so many kitties that are FIV positive wind up being adopted. And families, 10 years later, when their kitty tests positive after a vet suggests testing for it because they haven't been able to fix a problem, are left wondering just how their kitty contracted the disease, because he's an indoor-only kitty.
But all FIV+ really means is that when kitty does get sick, it needs to be treated more aggressively - basically with stronger antibiotics and sometimes for longer. They often have issues with their gums and teeth, so annual dentals are a minimum, and depending on the kitty, every six months is a good idea. Steroids are contra-indicated, so if allergies crop up, it's best to address the problem through diet and omega-3 supplementation, that kind of thing.
I know this is a shock.
But please, ask ANY questions. This is the best reference website out there: http://www.fivtherapy.com. If you want, you can see if there is a holistic vet that can work with you on the 2nd treatment course (all herbal) to help prevent the progression of the disease (and potentially reverse it to the point he tests negative for it). You can see if there's one in your area by searching here: http://www.ahvma.org
....and this is all assuming the SNAP test wasn't a false positive. The only way to know is to have the Western Blot done. Here it costs $135 or $145, depending on the vet that does it.
Can I please ask a question here? We got Ruben as a rescue. He tested neg to FIV. He has since had the  FIV vacc. Is there any way of truely knowing if he has it? Will he test positive anyway from the vacc? I want to get another cat but this is worrying me. We are going to the vet next week so if there is any test Ill ask for it. Thanks.  My apologies to Jake. I am not trying to barge in on his help. My thoughts are definatley with him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat that has received the FIV vaccination will always test positive for FIV, so there's no way to know if he has it or if it's the vaccine.

For your future reference, unless you live in the Southern US (Eastern TX, Southern LA, MS, and LA; the Panhandle of FL), the FIV vaccine does not protect your cat from FIV. There are different strains of FIV, and the vaccine only protects against a strain that is present there.

You may want to read up on current thinking in vaccinations: http://catcentric.org/care-and-health/vaccination-facts/

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Addie, I am just now seeing this post. Major Vibes for you
to find him!!!!!  They also say that when calling a lost animal, you should stay put in that spot for a little while, so they can find/come to you,  & not walk away, because they will be following your voice. You probably already know that, but it never hurts to

mention it, JIC.
 You know how cats do things in their own time.
  I will send up a prayer as well, that he finds his way to you, or you to him.

Good luck!!!!!!!! You will be in my prayers!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Addie, I am just now seeing this post. Major Vibes for you
to find him!!!!!  They also say that when calling a lost animal, you should stay put in that spot for a little while, so they can find/come to you,  & not walk away, because they will be following your voice. You probably already know that, but it never hurts to

mention it, JIC.
 You know how cats do things in their own time.
  I will send up a prayer as well, that he finds his way to you, or you to him.

Good luck!!!!!!!! You will be in my prayers!!

OOPS! I must have missed a page! 

I am SOOO GLAD He is back!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: More for Jake!!!! How is he doing? How are YOU doing? :cross: :vibes::vibes:

Thank you, Laurie :bigthumb: for all the great information in your posts. Much appreciated. :bigwink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the support, advice and info especially on FIV. Laurie - you are a Godsend!

Jake sends purrs, kisses, headbutts and lots and LOTS of paw biscuits to everyone.  He is doing well. He has peed but not pooped yet so I am a bit concerned about that... another reason to keep him in quarantine is to make sure the poo is his and that he is going.

We have been visiting him in his "prison cell" aka spare bedroom often and I have cuddled with him on the bed, even took a nap with him yesterday - he spooned me, kneaded me everywhere, kissed my face, etc.  :D

SOOOOO good to have him home.  I did let him and is brother Prowler sniff each other through about a two inch opening in the door. Prow hissed.

I know once Jake is released, he will reintegrate easily.

It is amazing to me that being out there as long as he was ... Aug 17 to Aug 28... that he was in such good shape. Neither I nor two vets could find any fleas or flea dirt on him. No ticks. But he got Revolution just in case for that and any internal wormies he may have encountered.  The other cats are getting Frontlined.  

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Addie, I am SO glad that Jake is home! A few years back my precious Lady went missing. She was gone for 11 days. I almost gave up hope. I am sure glad that I did not give up! Thank Goodness that you did not give up either.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you figured out where he was hiding? It sounds to me like he was never more than a couple hundred feet from home, as is usually the case in these events.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you figured out where he was hiding? It sounds to me like he was never more than a couple hundred feet from home, as is usually the case in these events.
Nope... but I would be willing to bet he was within sightlines of the house... but out of sight since we searched and searched. But I also got distracted by reports of a lookalike about 3/4 mile away and wasted a lot of time checking out those reports.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have been visiting him in his "prison cell" aka spare bedroom often and I have cuddled with him on the bed, even took a nap with him yesterday - he spooned me, kneaded me everywhere, kissed my face, etc.  :D
Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart3: :heart3: :heart3: Oh I needed that smile! :D :D :D

Addie, again, I know the FIV thing is a shock. But do get the Western Blot done, and go from there.... :heart3: And please, feel free to ask any questions, here, in Health, or via PM. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh I needed that smile!

Addie, again, I know the FIV thing is a shock. But do get the Western Blot done, and go from there....
And please, feel free to ask any questions, here, in Health, or via PM.
Thanks, Laurie!  He is in quarantine not b/c of the FIV but we didn't know if he was packing fleas. Also to keep tabs on waste elimination ( he hasn't pooped yet), worm expulsion and to let him decompress and allow the other cats to sniff him under the door.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope... but I would be willing to bet he was within sightlines of the house... but out of sight since we searched and searched. But I also got distracted by reports of a lookalike about 3/4 mile away and wasted a lot of time checking out those reports.
Yes, I think that's a common problem.  As humans, we tend to widen our search if it's unsuccessful at first.  I would bet he found a hidey hole very close to the house.  This is an item you can now advise people on, when they talk about their missing cats!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Laurie!  He is in quarantine not b/c of the FIV but we didn't know if he was packing fleas. Also to keep tabs on waste elimination ( he hasn't pooped yet), worm expulsion and to let him decompress and allow the other cats to sniff him under the door.
Oh I completely understand, and it's a good precaution. Poor guy has had enough stress, and sans the other issues, needs to decompress and get some much needed stress-free rest! :rub: :nod: :hugs:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for poop!!!