Jackson looks for laser point even when the playing is over...

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kc&sherman

Shermie goes crazy for any toy. I'm sure he simply thinks the laser pointer is a bug - whenever I stop it by him he tries to eat it!
I don't think there's anything wrong with a laser pointer. I do understand that it can blind, but I think Sherm's eyes are focused mainly on the dot as opposed to the source. I mean, isn't that the point of it? And about the OCD, I agree that this could be linked to any toy. You could link a medical problem to anything.
I completely agree with this. I just hate hearing ideas that make things dangerous that are completely harmless. If the laser is dangerous to shine right into kitty's eye...then when they look up, move it away from being anywhere pointed near their face...it's that simple. Yes, there have been cats that will lick an area raw, but it doesn't mean using this specific toy will create that, or that people should watch their cats for this behaviour. It is just not that prevalent.

Yes, cats love lights as toys. It doesn't mean they have OCD...but that's my opinion...and I'm sorry if it offends anyone.

misskittysdaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard horror stories about laser pointers and I find it all to be a bit of hogwash. Yes, pointing it in a cats eye (or anyone's eye) CAN cause damage if done for prolonged periods of time, but that's about it. Just don't flash it in their face. Your cat isn't going to get more addicted to this than any other toy - I think it's just a testament to how much they enjoy it.

Of course he's going to look for it after it's gone - if you dropped your keys and they landed under something so you couldn't see it, would you stop looking for them right away because they were simply out of your sight?

I find Miss Kitty "gets it" - i.e. she does know that something I do in my hand with that object makes the red dot appear. She reacts before I even turn it on, and when it disapears she looks at me to let me know if she wants it back or not. If she doesn't she just walks away.

MKD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKittysDaddy

I've heard horror stories about laser pointers and I find it all to be a bit of hogwash. Yes, pointing it in a cats eye (or anyone's eye) CAN cause damage if done for prolonged periods of time, but that's about it. Just don't flash it in their face. Your cat isn't going to get more addicted to this than any other toy - I think it's just a testament to how much they enjoy it.

Of course he's going to look for it after it's gone - if you dropped your keys and they landed under something so you couldn't see it, would you stop looking for them right away because they were simply out of your sight?

I find Miss Kitty "gets it" - i.e. she does know that something I do in my hand with that object makes the red dot appear. She reacts before I even turn it on, and when it disapears she looks at me to let me know if she wants it back or not. If she doesn't she just walks away.

MKD
I agree!!! Jackson does the same thing, He does make noise before the lght eve appears, he knows exactly what it is and does before the game even begins.

That is also true, a laser pointer can damage anyone's eyes. I would never point it right in Jackson's face. Thanks for the comments. I feel much better anout the subject with all the great posts.
Jayme

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKittysDaddy

MKD
i've found that if i 'jingle' the light, everyone runs into the room to play - they obviously know where it's coming from!