Izzie Wearing Her Soft Claws

supaastaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte

Ok, it's been over 3 weeks and only 2 nail caps fells off. I did run into two problems I thought I would share. The first is if you don't get the nail cap to adhere the first time, the claw can get stuck inside it's shaft after it has been retracted. After a few hours the claw is able to break the glue's hold and functions fine which is good news.

What really freaked me out was last night. Izzie was playing with a toy on the floor and got her claw got stuck in my thick, plush carpet. Somehow she found a thread in the carpet with a loop hole and wasn't able to get her claw out because the nail cap's base got stuck on the loop hole. I really needed a pair of scissors to cut the carpet. Unfortunately they were 50 feet away and I didn't want to leave Izzie yanking her claw in violence and injuring herself. About 5 minutes later the nap cap did pop off on it's own and Izzie was free. I checked her nail and there was no injury.

I was really impressed with the nail naps until last night. I don't know what the odds are of this happening again, but I was very glad I was home when it did happen.
~What were the odds of that happening again? Do you still use them? I am dying to find out! I need to either find out if they work or declaw my cats by the 26th of March! I do NOT want to do the later.

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
does wearing the caps mean that she cant retract her claws or can they still retract. After reading what is involed in getting a cat declawed I would say that they would be a great advantage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe my kitten is accident prone, but she got another nail cap stuck in the carpet last night. This time, she sat there and did not panic. She meowed at me like "Hey, I'm stuck again". I used a pair of scissors to cut her from the carpet.

Nail

Blue nail cap over claw with red string caught at base

It's very possible I bought a size too large. My kitten is only 4.8 pounds now and I probably should have bought the kitten size. I had purchased and used the small size at the end of January. Also, it was the first time I applied the nail caps. I may not have put them on correctly.

Overall, I think the product is a good alternative to declawing. There are still 2 nail caps on my kitten as of date. I plan to wait until she grows a little more before applying another set.

I shoud probably note that my kitten got her sharp claw (no nail cap) stuck on her sisal scratching post too. So, I've concluded that soft claws are probably no more dangerous than her own sharpened claws.

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old was izzie when you applied the softclaws? I ordered some off ebay for a STEAL in kitten size-- peanut butter toast is 13 weeks old now and i have been successfully clipping his nails but he is starting to scratch up what little carpet i have in my house. So far thats the only thing he scratches-- hubby wants him declawed so bad he can taste it but only because he thinks the cat will go crazy and will scratch someone to death or something. i ordered the kitten size and they are HUGE PB will have to grow a few more weeks till he can wear them-- Hes about 5 pounds now too.

Your kitty is gorgeous!

Amity with Peanut Butter Toast the kitten, Calista the Chinese Crested hairless dog and Dobber and Shade the German Shepherds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Izzie was 5 months old when I applied the Soft Claws and almost 5 pounds. If you read my entire thread, you should have noticed the "getting stuck in the carpet" dilema. I stopped using Soft Claws after March because Izzie kept getting stuck in the carpet. It's the type of carpet with loops in it. If it were berber or denser carpet (standard carpet type) like I have in my bedroom, I would probably continue to use Soft Claws. One mistake I made when applying Soft Claws was trimming the nails too short. You need to take off the sharp tip of the nail, but also need enough nail so the glue has surface area to adhere to.

I do trim Izzie's nails and it really does help to prevent scratches on people. When she tries to scratch the area rug in my kitchen, her claws aren't long enough to get a good grip on it and tear it.

I can sympathize with you about declawing. Everyone I know thought I was nuts for not getting Izzie declawed. I do not regret my decision one bit. I have taught her to use a scratching post and she loves to scratch the heck out of it. Here's a link to see my cat's scratching post and cat tree. http://home.dejazzd.com/figseedduh/P.../Furniture.htm

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhhhhh I want some for Garfield!!! Those are so pretty.
Lilo is fine like she is ... garfield that little monster is the only one that loves tearing up my new sofa!!! Little fart!!