I've never been AFRAID of a cat before

mamasquishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat for years, she was my baby. Holly Cat. She slept with me every night for 6 years. My dad and I rescued her from the pound when she was 7 weks old. There she she was hanging on the cage, "pick me pick me!" She was a gift for my mom. My dad's and her personalities clashed. Actually he clashed with everyone. Anyways, she only liked 2 men, my grandfather and my uncle. When I first met my ex husband she jumped in his lap and he knocked her off. Shortly after she jumped back in his lap and clawed the crap out of his legs. She dug so deep blood seeped through his pants. I never laughed so hard. But, she only done that to men. My ex step dad put her outside (and she had never been out in her life) and she never came home.
But, if you weren't Phillip or Pop, watch out, she would attack lol

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I've been afraid that it might bite or scratch while I'm trying to pill it or something. And I'm always respectful when meeting a new cat - that's just common sense. AndI don't expect all cats to be friendly when I first meet them, that usually takes some time with cats, unlike your average lab.
Anyhoo, I just came back from a pet sitting visit and I was shaking after meeting this cat! Holy cow!!! My info sheet says "Lulu -cat, black, not really friendly". So I think ok, it'll probably just run and hide from me, so I'll just feed her, scoop litter then take the (super friendly) retriever for a walk. No problem. Well, I've got the key in the door and first thing I see is this cat in the window spitting and snarling at me. So I cautiously enter, and the dog comes bounding down the stairs in joyful greeting while Lulu growls and swipes at us both.
So I go to feed them. Trouble is Lulu rushes in between their dishes and the cupboard where the food is. I have to bend down to open the door and I don't want to risk my face being used as a scratching post, so I go down to the basement to scoop the litterbox instead.
So I'm in the basement looking around for the box when suddenly wham! Something hits me in the leg. I turn around and Lulu's there spitting and yowling and swiping at me. I actually feel fear at this point! I'm trapped in a corner by this ferocious beast! I look around desperately for something to defend myself with and pick up a sports bag which I use a shield while I get past the cat.
Lulu takes off upstairs again, and I manage to find the litterbox and scoop it. Then I cautiously go upstairs to the kitchen. Lulu's nowhere to be seen. I quickly go to the food cupboard and measure out the food.
Then Lulu suddenly rushes in and plants herself in front of the open cupboard while snarling at me and swiping the dog who's trying to eat her breakfast. So I put down her bowl across the other side of the room and stay out of reach. Thankfully, she's hungry and rushes over, so I'm able to shut the food cupboard again. Then I grab the leash and the dog and I'm out the door as fast as I can! Phew, thank goodness the doggie was a sweetheart at least.
I couldn't find the cat when I returned, and I was very cautiously looking around for her.
I have 5 more visits this week to look forward to.
I have never met such an angry, defensive cat who wasn't in pain. I'm just stunned that this is a non-feral pet in a house with young children, nice pet-loving people and lots of people coming and going. She's well cared for and used to humans. I'm just stunned by her meaness and have a new-found understanding of just how well a cat could defend itself if need be - no sensible human's going to mess with that!
I came home a snuggled up big time with my sweet cuddly boys. That feels better.
i'm so sorry you had to deal with that! i know exactly what you mean by "thats the first time i was afraid of a cat for real". i had the same thing happen with Wonton-long story i wont go into, but he charged me a couple times, and it was seriously scary. He's a 17 pound boy, and when he's all puffed up and yowling he looks about three times that size. most of the time they're curled up on our laps or acting like sweet little angels, so its easy to forget they're animals, with teeth and claws and instincts and reactions much sharper and quicker than ours. glad to hear there's nothing wrong with the cat though...and glad that particular job is over for you

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad the vicious kitty didn't hurt you! It would have been nice to know she does not like strangers before you went there, so you could have been prepared.
I read through the whle thread, and unless I missed it, no one mentioned the fact that you should never pick up your cat by the scruff. Only a mom cat should actually lift a kitten by the scruff. I will sometimes grab them there and hold them in place, but never lift them. You could injure the cat, and they could rip you apart for hurting them. You could end up with a cat that does not love or trust you, and a lot of scars.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother had a cat like that and I used to have to go over and take care of him when my brother went out of town. This cat not only attacked visitors, but my brother said he would get on top of bookcases and leap on his head and scratch him. I give him credit for keeping him all those years - even I would have given up on him. They had this poor cat to a vet many times trying to find what was wrong with him. The vet finally diagnosed him as having neurological damage. He was not normal.

My brother kept a broom at the door and when the cat would attack, he would (gently) sweep him away. It did work and I had to use that trick a lot of times when I was over there. You couldn't really predict when the cat would attack but you had to be ready for when he did.