I've lost 30 pounds!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
congrats Sarah! My aunt uses WW and has lost weight, but then she stops going to meetings and gains it back, she wants my mom and I to join too, I need to lose quite a bit as well
I'm of the no discipline sit on the couch ilk

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations Sarah!!!!

I did WW many years ago and found the lessons very good. I saw a documentary not too long ago (sorry, can't remember the name) that did a study on all the different diet "fads" out there. Most are not healthy for you at all with one exception: Weight Watchers. They teach you how to change your lifestyle rather than just how to lose pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Congratulations! I am so excited to read your news - and the positive feedback about WW from other TCS members. I need to lose about 70 pounds...I am shocked that I can even type the number! This is the first time that I have "publically" admited how much weight I should lose. How did I get to this point? I am not disciplined and I am a couch potato. I have been thinking about WW as an option and after reading Sarah's posting, I do think that I will go down the street and join. I think that I need to go to meetings though, since I am afraid I will stray without the support. Does anyone else go to the meetings? I am so gad that everyone who has posted seems to do well on WW...that certainly will motivate me. Congrats to all!
Don't let yourself get down about it. I used to feel overwhelmed by how much weight I had put on over the years, and found it hard to accept because I'd never had a weight problem in my life!

I always used to get down on myself thinking that I was just lazy and unmotivated, but that's not it. Motivation is partly it, but you've got to just think about weight loss in a different way. Because of so many diet fads and trends and ridiculous `magic bullet' cures people have it hammered into their heads that they should be able to lose 50 pounds in two weeks and if they can't, then they've somehow failed - not the diet itself.

That's not the way. I knew it was going to take me four to six months to lose this weight - at least. I knew that I couldn't realistically expect to lose more than a kilogram per week, and that I was going to have to be a little bit more disciplined on things like snacking, or just having that one biscuit with my cup of tea, etc. I knew that writing every single thing down that I put in my mouth would help, and it did. All of a sudden the idea of dieting didn't seem so hard.

A lot of it is organisation, too. I planned a lot of what I would eat at work etc, so I wasn't caught short and finding myself in a position where I had to grab `something quick'. I made sure I brought snacks, and fruit and other low-point foods and had my breakfast and lunch planned. The first week I felt like I spent every five minutes looking up my book and planning and weighing and so on, but after that it became much easier, and it got really fun to get creative with my food to try and have as much as possible, which was really yummy, and stay within my points.

The best thing about WW is that it teaches you how to view food in a different way, and it teaches you about choices and alternatives, and how you never, ever have to miss out anything you want, and you can usually find a healthier way to have it. I've had icecream, fast food, gone out for dinner, wine, chocolate - you name it. I've not missed out on a thing. I've just gone about it differently, and more carefully, and that makes it MUCH easier.

When you look at losing weight NOT in the sense of a diet, but in a sense of changing your habits, it's not an overwhelming challenge anymore.

I don't go to the meetings, I do WW At Home. It's brilliant, and you still get telephone/email support if you need it. But the meetings are also a great way to go - it just depends on the kind of way you like to manage things.

So, I say, GO FOR IT! You're not unmotivated, or lazy, or any of those things. You just haven't looked at it the right way before now.

(Sorry for the essay but I'd really like to use what I've learned to inspire people, because when everyone you run into comments on how much weight you've lost, it's a really amazing feeling!)

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations Sarah!
30 pounds is a lot to have lost!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night i was complimented, my colleagues noticed i lost weight, well i cant blame them because now my pants are falling off! and this has only been with in the last 20 days! I have been having carbohydrate breakfast, brown bread with cheese or something adn then just have a very light meal during the day and i dont eat past 8 or 9 pm! since i go to bed at 11 or 12 most nights anyway

It is hard, especially since i love my carbohydrates, chips, potatoes, bread, pasta. But i have to limit my self because while working at the reception i put on heaps of weight!

Plus i dont want to go back to australia looking like a Hippo!