I've just been laid off

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Yep. It finally happened. I'm the only one from this office, but that's just because my Mother quit on Monday. The rest of my co-workers are being put in a new program that they've been working on getting. But they only have enough space for 3 people, which is what they have left after me. I was basically told that though I've been here longer than one co-worker, he's more experienced (translation: older) they are putting them in that. That's kind of ok because I'm not sure I want to work in the other program.

My last day was going to be this Friday with 2 weeks severence pay, but because of my students (who are disabled in some manner) I said I thought it would be better if I stay till the end of the month, which is when they will close my program. They said they appreicated that, so that's that.

I'm not shocked. I'm not happy. But I don't know what else just yet. I just had to tell somebody. Oh did I mention today is my first day back from vacation???
It has been my experience from working with high tech companies that are constantly laying people off, that the majority are soon working and much happier than they were before, asking theirselves, why did I not quit sooner? I am sitting here in my house today because I was laid off after twenty years with a company. I never looked for a full time job and now do part time work from home because I salted away all I could in a 401K program. So now I do a little web design, do some free lance writing and photography, and send a great deal of time on The Cat Site! I realize that you are probably much younger than I, but keep us posted on how you are doing. I am willing to bet that in the not too distant future you are going to be one happy person!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your being laid off, but like everyone else said, I'm sure you'll find something great soon!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One door closes & another opens. Look at Kenz, she was jobless for so long, & has now found a purr-fect job!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe they laid you off on your first day back from vacation! That's just so ... tacky.

Best of luck getting a job with the state; you deserve it!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well at least you have some resume's working already.
I remember when my office was told that we were closing-it was sad but also a good blessing in disguise. Enjoy the remainder of your job and good luck on finding a new one.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds a bit sketchy on their part for sure. Im glad you are looking forward to the next thing. Its really wonderful of you to go in more days for your students despite the lay off thing. People with that kind of dedication are never out of work long. Best luck finding something better!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the company my aunt worked for for something like 20 yrs did that to her. she was laid off when she got back from vacation.

i hope you find something you like better soon.
somewhere that appreciates you.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even when you are not happy, it is always a shock when something like htat happens. Good luck for finding something much better.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww hon i'm soo sorry
That really stinks. Lots of good vibes headed your way though that you find a good other job that you will be happy with!!!
Keep your chin up- it will be ok

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Yep. It finally happened. I'm the only one from this office, but that's just because my Mother quit on Monday. The rest of my co-workers are being put in a new program that they've been working on getting. But they only have enough space for 3 people, which is what they have left after me. I was basically told that though I've been here longer than one co-worker, he's more experienced (translation: older) they are putting them in that. That's kind of ok because I'm not sure I want to work in the other program.

My last day was going to be this Friday with 2 weeks severence pay, but because of my students (who are disabled in some manner) I said I thought it would be better if I stay till the end of the month, which is when they will close my program. They said they appreicated that, so that's that.

I'm not shocked. I'm not happy. But I don't know what else just yet. I just had to tell somebody. Oh did I mention today is my first day back from vacation???
Well that was a nice welcome back from you vacation. I hope you find a much better job, one you will like even better, good luck to you.