I've had a kitten for 6 days and think he is sick. Diarrhea, lethargic......Need opinions please!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Auroraei, your kitten is FINE on the chicken diet. You need to remain calm.
I did this with the aid of my vet and my cat was on it for THREE WEEKS. He is getting enough nutrients, and I guarantee you he is doing a whole lot better now than when he was having that awful diarrhea.
Please, you need to calm down and relax. Let time work on healing him - it is working, which is why he is not pooping as much - we went through that..... I am not sure why you said you have no idea how he is doing..... He doens't have massive diarrhea everywhre..... Well..... that is doing a heck lot better than before :dk:
It is not because of the diet that you shouldn't neuter him now - it is because he needs to be healed and healthy before going through a surgery/trauma - that goes for any additional trauma. You don't want to push his system when he is not helathy enough. Let him get better than you neuter him.

He NEEDS probiotics to rebuild his gut flora - that is a missing link on this deal.

This "aggression" is probably misplaced aggression coupled with hormones.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't realize he wasn't fixed.

Some of his behavior could be because he is in heat and will remain in heat until he "gets lucky".

I'd talk to the vet about whether he could go through surgery; the diarrehea is more debiliating than a chicken diet.  You'd have to weigh the (health) pros/cons of neutering him.

I was helping to foster a cat who cycled in and out of heat (it seemed) every four days; she lost a lot of weight and developed a skin condition before we could get her in to be spayed.
Yes he isn't fixed, but I haven't seen him spray anything yet so I'm not sure if he's in heat........or just really hyper. He's playing with his toys and acting crazy lol. I wanted to get him fixed practically the day I got him but didn't think it was a good idea with him being sick, and well, times running out x_x i feel like I'm trying to beat the clock before he starts spraying and going into heat.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Auroraei, your kitten is FINE on the chicken diet. You need to remain calm.
I did this with the aid of my vet and my cat was on it for THREE WEEKS. He is getting enough nutrients, and I guarantee you he is doing a whole lot better now than when he was having that awful diarrhea.
Please, you need to calm down and relax. Let time work on healing him - it is working, which is why he is not pooping as much - we went through that..... I am not sure why you said you have no idea how he is doing..... He doens't have massive diarrhea everywhre..... Well..... that is doing a heck lot better than before

It is not because of the diet that you shouldn't neuter him now - it is because he needs to be healed and healthy before going through a surgery/trauma - that goes for any additional trauma. You don't want to push his system when he is not helathy enough. Let him get better than you neuter him.

He NEEDS probiotics to rebuild his gut flora - that is a missing link on this deal.
I wouldn't know if not pooping at all is better than diareah, because why would it be good if he's constipated for some reason? I don't know if he is or not since he's going so little. There was only a soft poop spot in his litterbox smaller than a quarter this morning. I don't know if that's normal......

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't know if not pooping at all is better than diareah, because why would it be good if he's constipated for some reason? I don't know if he is or not since he's going so little. There was only a soft poop spot in his litterbox smaller than a quarter this morning. I don't know if that's normal......
Yes, it is. :nod:
When I put my cats on raw I went through the very same thing..... Cats on raw poop very little..... and not often. My cats poop every other day or every 2 days! And tiny amounts. Why? Because they use almost all the food they ingest - there is very little waste on the meat.

When a kitty is constipated you will hear crying on the box, straining, jumping in and out of the box, and the stools will be very hard. Plus, for a kitty to be constipated on meat, you need to be feeding bones or calcium - which you are not. Therefore your cat is not constipated.

The stools would be hard as a rock too..... not soft like what you are seeing :nod:

Don't worry hun..... Your kitty is getting better..... You need to start moving forward.
Please PLEASE get that probiotic.....

And a :hug: to you.

PS - we would never do anything to hurt your baby - Pinky promise :cross:

Last edited:

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carolina I have a question about the probiotic you suggested. It contains milk. Would that be counterproductive since milk can give cats diareah?

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is.

When I put my cats on raw I went through the very same thing..... Cats on raw poop very little..... and not often. My cats poop every other day or every 2 days! And tiny amounts. Why? Because they use almost all the food they ingest - there is very little waste on the meat.

When a kitty is constipated you will hear crying on the box, straining, jumping in and out of the box, and the stools will be very hard. Plus, for a kitty to be constipated on meat, you need to be feeding bones or calcium - which you are not. Therefore your cat is not constipated.

The stools would be hard as a rock too..... not soft like what you are seeing

Don't worry hun..... Your kitty is getting better..... You need to start moving forward.
Please PLEASE get that probiotic.....

And a :hug: to you.

PS - we would never do anything to hurt your baby - Pinky promise
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know when you said that "Cats poop very little" meant REALLY LITTLE.  I'm not worried about it anymore then.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina I have a question about the probiotic you suggested. It contains milk. Would that be counterproductive since milk can give cats diareah?
No, it is from Goat's milk - that is safe. Trust me - my Bugsy would be the first one to have explosive diarrhea with anything that is not safe. If a product gives diarrhea to any cat, it would be him..... If it is safe for Bugsy...... It is pretty much safe to anyone :lol3:

Lots of TCS cats use it - it is GREAT stuff - get it with confidence :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know when you said that "Cats poop very little" meant REALLY LITTLE.  I'm not worried about it anymore then.
Yeah - I even had prayers sent for my Bugsy to poop :flail:

It went from massive puddles to nothing - I was as confused as you are :paranoid:

It turns out - it it the beauty of it - that is how healthy cats eating a GOOD meaty diet work!!! :nod:

Last edited:

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah - I even had prayers sent for my Bugsy to poop

It went from massive puddles to nothing - I was as confused as you are

It turns out - it it the beauty of it - that is how healthy cats eating a GOOD meaty diet work!!!
Omg prayers? That's hilarious!!!
No, it is from Goat's milk - that is safe. Trust me - my Bugsy would be the first one to have explosive diarrhea with anything that is not safe. If a product gives diarrhea to any cat, it would be him..... If it is safe for Bugsy...... It is pretty much safe to anyone

Lots of TCS cats use it - it is GREAT stuff - get it with confidence
If for whatever reason my cat refuses to eat his food with this probiotic, is there anyway I could like, mix it with water and put it in a syringe? i suspect he won't like it, because he already was refusing to eat his food with the other probiotic :\

Also my cat likes to nibble on his food for hours and not eat it all in 1 meal usually, is that going to be a problem? With the probiotic just sitting out like that in food?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And some of us even post pictures of our kitty's well formed poop.

And we all celebrate!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg prayers? That's hilarious!!!

If for whatever reason my cat refuses to eat his food with this probiotic, is there anyway I could like, mix it with water and put it in a syringe? i suspect he won't like it, because he already was refusing to eat his food with the other probiotic :\

Also my cat likes to nibble on his food for hours and not eat it all in 1 meal usually, is that going to be a problem? With the probiotic just sitting out like that in food?
I have a feeling you don't need to worry about this probiotic - to date, and there are many kitties here who eat it, there hasn't been one so far who has rejected. :cross: that yours won't be the first!

You really don't want to leave meat laying around..... follow the same rules for meat with probiotics - a little more, since good or not, that is bacteria on moisture.

Last edited:

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ordering it now :)

Does anyone have any cat toy suggestions on Amazon? I want to buy a few things for him.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ordered!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear Phoenix is still improving! The poop sounds normal. You may see an increase in urine, that is also normal.

I wonder if the "attack" may be inappropriate play? I ask because my cats went bonkers when I first put them on raw. Broken lamps, etc.

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great to hear Phoenix is still improving! The poop sounds normal. You may see an increase in urine, that is also normal.

I wonder if the "attack" may be inappropriate play? I ask because my cats went bonkers when I first put them on raw. Broken lamps, etc.
Probably, he's never done that before, where he wraps his paws around my leg and bites, and I push him off and he still does it. I try scruffing him or saying NO, but it doesn't have any effect on him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably, he's never done that before, where he wraps his paws around my leg and bites, and I push him off and he still does it. I try scruffing him or saying NO, but it doesn't have any effect on him.
This is NOT aggression - this is a kitten who was separated by his mother too young... This is playing.
You need to educate him, **not** repremend him. Playing with a wand is great - aways direct his attention to the wand when he does that. And never, EVER EVER play with him with your hands and feet.

Last edited:

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is NOT aggression - this is a kitten who was separated by his mother too young... This is playing.
You need to educate him, **not** repremend him. Playing with a wand is great - aways direct his attention to the wand when he does that. And never, EVER EVER play with him with your hands and feet.
I've read in too many places that tell you to firmly say NO so I guess I'm just used to that. I don't play with him with my hands or feet, just sometimes when I pet him he goes to bite instead (playfully). It really hurts though, it's sharp! He doesn't seem to respond to any type of disipline. Can't keep him off my counters either, but I guess that's just him being a cat