I've got the after 4 years I still can't find a tree skirt blues!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep that's right. My incredibly long title says it. I've got the after 4 years I still can't find a tree skirt blues! This is the 4th year we've had our tree and I can not find a tree skirt to save my life! I think the problem is I know what I want and no one else does! I've been looking in stores and online tonight and nothing works! If it's close, it's too small!

I want a deep red (not burgundy, more deep cranberry) velvety or that shiny fabric (not satin, I can't think what it's called at the moment but basically like the fabric my bridesmaids dresses were made out of.) with gold trimmings. I'd love it to have gold snowflakes. I didn' t think that would be difficult but apparently so. I keep finding red and silver. Not my style. I bought a pattern for one but even that I'm not sure I like. And DH knowing me, encouraged me to keep looking and volunteered weeks ago to go looking with me. Little does he know that may very well be happening this weekend because I'm sick of using old lace curtains for a tree skirt!

Grrr....I just want a pretty tree skirt! Any ideas?

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm giggling because this reminds me of how I would think. I picture just what I want sometimes and then go in a million store and say "Nope ! Not here!" Does anyone in your family sew? You could always stencil on snowflakes with some gold or white fabric paint

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty close. I like the way the red fabric is...maybe just a little darker and the gold a little less yellow......oh gosh I am hopeless!

I bought a pattern to sew one. My old boss was an excellent seamstress. I might have to start asking around the church for more seamstresses!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a "kit" at the fabric store. It's a taffeta-like material. And several different shades of red and gold. It's for a tree-skirt quilt. That was last year, but I ran out of time, so I'll have to finish it this year!

xoxlacey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol, you are far morepicky then I was, I picked my up in like 2 minutes! Goodluck with your search..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xoxlacey

Lol, you are far morepicky then I was, I picked my up in like 2 minutes! Goodluck with your search..
The curse of having an Interior Design degree!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Yep that's right. My incredibly long title says it. I've got the after 4 years I still can't find a tree skirt blues! This is the 4th year we've had our tree and I can not find a tree skirt to save my life! I think the problem is I know what I want and no one else does! I've been looking in stores and online tonight and nothing works! If it's close, it's too small!

I want a deep red (not burgundy, more deep cranberry) velvety or that shiny fabric (not satin, I can't think what it's called at the moment but basically like the fabric my bridesmaids dresses were made out of.) with gold trimmings. I'd love it to have gold snowflakes. I didn' t think that would be difficult but apparently so. I keep finding red and silver. Not my style. I bought a pattern for one but even that I'm not sure I like. And DH knowing me, encouraged me to keep looking and volunteered weeks ago to go looking with me. Little does he know that may very well be happening this weekend because I'm sick of using old lace curtains for a tree skirt!

Grrr....I just want a pretty tree skirt! Any ideas?
Make one
then you can have whatever colour you so chose

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amanda8501

Well i might have found one that you would like...it holds all of what you asked for my but it might be the wrong color red...its the second one down on the left...

http://www.indianproduct.com/tasseln...reeskirts1.htm

hope it works...
Oooh, I like the third one down on the right!

And may I say... what very nice people you are, to go out searching the internet to help a fellow TCSer! I'm so glad I found this site -- it's good to be among such good folks.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If I ever get my tree up
I am going to have to take a pic of my tree skirt. It is the exact opposite of what you are looking for!
It's dark blue velvet with silver snowflakes with silver jingle bells sewn around the edge.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

If I ever get my tree up
I am going to have to take a pic of my tree skirt. It is the exact opposite of what you are looking for!
It's dark blue velvet with silver snowflakes with silver jingle bells sewn around the edge.
So basically what I am looking for must exist somewhere in this world!

moocow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's an easy no-sew idea.

Pick up a cheap round table cloth in the color you want. Fold it into a pie shape so that the very center is the point, and just snip the point off a couple inches down to cut out your center. Get some iron-in fabric tape and fold back the raw edges on the inside to finish that cut (you won't see the center hole much anyway). If it's too big around, just cut straight down one side and take out a sliver, use the fabric tape to finish the edges of the cut (you'd have do that anyway to get the slit to get it around the tree).

Pick out some pretty trim at the fabric store & buy enough to go around the whole outer edge... just hot glue it on. Get some pretty appliques, even pre-beaded ones, and just hot glue those on, too. Or, if you want it more permanent, simply put a few hand stitches in to hold those things in place. Easy peasy!

I made a skirt like that once for a Halloween costume. I needed a circle skirt for a 50's motif, and I had an old table cloth that had a boo boo or two from doing crafts on the kitchen table. Just sewed in a simple elastic band and voila, instant skirt!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I found one! Not exactly what I had in mind, but close! It doesn't have gold snowflakes. I'll add pics so you can see it. It's the right color red, velvet and other fabrics, and has gold trimming. I hit the mall determined to look for one and of all places, I found it at JcPenny's! I've been there several times in the last few weeks and never noticed it! And one of the best parts....it was 50% off!

I don't think the reds picked up well in the photos, but there it is!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i dont think tree skirts exist in this country - someone from Aus, correct me if I am wrong... surely they must be here and its just i have never seen one?

I want one now!! they are awesome!! I want one like Moo&Noodles has

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Very pretty! I'm glad you found one!

Originally Posted by huggles

I want one now!! they are awesome!! I want one like Moo&Noodles has
Now your secret Santa knows what to get you!