I've decided Pancake has some British Shorthair in her, do you agree?

taylerhill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my cat Pancake. I found her as a stray when she was a kitten. My mom thought she looked like something other than just a domestic shorthair, but didn't know what breed. Today I learned about the British Shorthair. I think Pancake has some of this breed in her. Her face is rounded more like theirs with the chipmunk cheeks, her fur has a more luxurious feel to it than most other domestics, and her personality is very sweet and loving. It's hard to tell in some of the pictures, but her eyes are a pretty green color. Does anyone else agree? Or have any other guesses? Thank you for your opinions!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she is pretty!

Hmm, purebred cats are such a small percentage of the population, and British Shorthairs aren't very common in the US, so unless you know of an irresponsible local British Shorthair breeder it just seems unlikely that she would have any in her. Domestic cats come in all shapes, sizes, fur types, etc. (all breeds having been developed from particular populations of domestics) so it's always hard to tell for sure.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Pancake is very beautiful and she does look like she has luscious, think fur, but I do not think she has quite as rounded face as I would expect to see in BSH.  As @Willowy has said, cats come in all shapes and sizes, and without any human intervention so without some clear history and genetic links you are not likely to know if there is any British Shorthair family history.  It is very unlikely given the rarity of cat breed in the country that you live and the protection breeders give to their purebred cats.  This does not take away from her lovely personality, fur, and over all good looks! I love her colouring.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
British Shorthair cats not only have round faces, they have very prominent whisker pads and short rounded ears that I don't see in your cat.  I would say your kitty has more of the features of an American Shorthair.  However, those features frequently occur in random bred cats as well.  I have several with cute round heads and I know they don't have any particular breed in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taylerhill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! You are probably right, the British Shorthair's just reminded me of her when I saw photos of them. No matter what breeds she has, she will always be my sweet girl!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you everyone! You are probably right, the British Shorthair's just reminded me of her when I saw photos of them. No matter what breeds she has, she will always be my sweet girl!
and going by all the cat trees, toys, comfy cat beds and every cat lover's staple - the box, she is a much loved and very pampered sweet girl too.  
    She is lovely so please give her hugs from me.