I've been dreading the day I would be posting in this thread.....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monster (our little seizure kitty) went to RB yesterday. For those of you that aren't familiar with Monster, she got into ant poison when she was about 6 months old and almost died then. After a few days at the vets she came home but started having seizures shortly after that (the poison damaged her brain) and has had to have phenobarbital every day and valium when needed (to help her come out of the seizure).

The meds had been keeping them more or less under control for the last 7 years with her only having one every few months (usually because she spit out her pill and we didn't realize it), but the last few months she has gotten worse. We upped her pheno and started giving her valium every few nights as a precaution but she still would have at least one a week.

The last week or 10 days she's been having them every night. It seemed like they always hit after the sun went down and it started to get cold...it was weird. Last night though it was the worst. Usually a 1/4 or 1/2 of a valium will get her to come out of it. Last night, we had to give her 4 full valium before she stopped. We knew what might happen with that much meds in her system but we really didn't have a choice. The vet warned us it may come to this. She passed away in her sleep. I don't know if it was all the valium, the 1/2hr seizure or a combination of both.

DH buried her this afternoon with her favorite mylar ball (that was the only kind of toy she would ever play with). The only other time I've ever seen my husband cry is when his dad passed away.   Monster was definitely HIS cat, even though she he constantly had fresh claw marks from her fighting him every night (she HATED taking her medicine).

RIP Monster. No more pills now. You put up a good fight but now is your time to run and play and be a normal kitty at the bridge. We love you and we'll see you again. 

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You gave her a wonderful 7 years. Poor girl. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hun, I am SO sorry! :heart3: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: As RAFM said, you gave her a wonderful 7 years. :heart3: :rub: She's running whole and free from seizures now. :rbheart:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :hugs: I've often talked to the vet about Lola & her seizures (hers are caused by genetics).....and he says that is often what happens.

Play happily over the Rainbow Bridge, Monster :angel:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. It was so strange last night getting everything else done for the night...coffee made, dogs out, cats fed, Monster.....oh....yeah. No Monster to give meds to. Funny thing is, I started to cry again last night at that point even though that was the part of the night I dreaded the most. At least now she isn't having pills forced down her throat. It was a battle every night and she HATED it. And the only person she would take them from was DH, so he has all the battle scars. But I got to hear the cussing and hissing/howling. 

But then I remember the fun times she had and remind myself that her life wasn't a constant torment (at least I hope it wasn't). She loved her mylar balls. If she was having a good day she would chase one around for hours (and I have spent many hours fetching them out from under the fridge, cabinets, entertainment center, etc). We always thought we she was first poisoned it affected her vision as well because she seemed to have tunnel vision. The only way you could pet her is if she saw your hand first and kind of walked into it, then rubbed herself against it. If you petted her from behind (or started her in any way) she would jump and run. I think she liked the mylar balls because she could track them with her hearing. The only other "toy of choice" was Snickers' tail. For some reason she LOVED Snickers' tail. She left all the other dogs alone, but her tail just fascinated her. We could tell when Monster was feeling good because she would follow Snickers around and bat at her tail constantly. Every now and then, if we weren't watching, we would hear a little yelp, and we knew that Monster went in for the kill. But Snickers, god love her, never snapped or growled at her once. In fact, I think she wagged her tail on purpose just so Monster could play.

I'm sorry. I'm kind of babbling. Yesterday, I was kind of relieved in a way. She was free and able to be the cat she should have been. Today, it's hitting me. Part of it is we brought her and Harley (her brother, the kitty in my avatar) home a week before my Mom passed away. They both got me through a very rough time in my life. I just....really hurts.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Monster sounds like she was a real sweetie. Bless you and your DH for taking such good care of your little girl. Monster, you were a kitty who was loved very, very much.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that this has happened. She had a great life with you after such a bad accident at the start, and she lived life to the full. RIP little girl.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Monster. What a wonderful life she had with you. For what it's worth, I'm still reaching for Tolly's phenobarbital every day and he's been gone a month. It takes time to cope with such a loss, especially when they needed daily care.

:rbheart: :angel: Monster :heart3: