Iv a rescued cat,has 8 babys, how much shud they gain a day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persian2momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does seem to be clearing up. Less kittens w/it... Haven't checked eyes & weighed them today. Fed Momma & cleaned-up after her real early this morning-still dark out. (Had a rough nite, no sleep!!)
I clean out her litter box 2-3 times a day, feed her twice a day (washing all bowls each time) she's drinking a lot, so gave her bigger bowl, about to head downstairs & weigh babies & check eyes... Off kilter day... Tried napping.. Neighbors wudnt let me!!! (Rude!)

persian2momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the stray (a kitten herself), who had 9 kittens on April 6th, w/one dying of cold(?). Well, the kittens are only 24-25 days old, & momma isn't nursing them very much... Their weight gain is only .01-.04 oz's in the past few days. Only 2 of the 8 are at a full lb.
Shud I just be giving them formula for another couple weeks, or shud I mix formula into canned kitten food, and feed them all in one bowl of 'soupy' kitten food? Once I do that tho, they'll need a litter box, correct? They are Sooo tiny...(except my 2-1lb-ers) mom will stop cleaning up their bottoms if they eat solids food-right? So far they are all in a box, I let them out when I go down there to tend to moms food, water, litter box,etc... But they go back in on their own... (We cut a hole in box) I cover it at nite, cuz I don't want them eating moms food... It's 1/2 adult food, & 1/2 kitten canned, plus 2 bowls of kibble... Which, they can't eat, w/no teeth? Correct? (Tho a few have found crumbs in the carpet, & have eaten nth at...
Pls tell me when it's safe for kittens to eat any solid food, please?! Kitten at 3 weeks? Shud I just wait another week? HELP?? Thx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let them decide. Let them see/sniff/taste the mama cat's food and decide when they think they want to eat it. You can also start mixing some meat baby food (or puree the meat yourself. Make sure there's no garlic or onion added either way) with the formula to get them used to it. If they seem interestd in their mother's food, you can try offering a shallow dish of canned food mixed with formula. If they don't eat it the mother will.

When raising orphans it can be hard trying to figure out when they're ready. But usually if the mama is there it's best to just let the babies wean naturally. One litter I raised started eating their mother's dry kibble at 3 weeks. . .I didnt even know until I caught them in the act. Not sure how they ate it without teeth but I guess they were ready! :lol3: Your kitties ought to be starting to get teeth, so it's up to them now.

Make sure the mama has all the food she can eat, highest calorie possible. Poor thing, 9 babies!

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely wait another week or even two before offering solid food and keep supplementing them with KMR formula after they have nursed on mom.  They are not designed to be getting solid food before they have teeth, so I would trust nature to let you know when that is.  I don't think you need to keep them away from their mama's food.  In my experience, they don't eat it until they are ready anyhow.  With our bottle babies, we usually start offering baby food mixed with formula on a dish once they start chewing on the bottle nipples, but we never force it by adding baby food it to the formula.  Usually they lick it off your finger first and then discover it tastes good.  The first food this latest bottle baby chewed was cheddar cheese!  That's a good early food to chew because basically it is just concentrated milk, and the hard cheeses don't have lactose in them.  Goat cheese is great also.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens definitely need supplementing. Mom probably has good milk, but not enough to satisfy 8 hungry babies, which is why they are looking for food. If they will lap baby food or KMR from a dish or plate, go for it!

Last edited:

persian2momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, they LOVE the Verry watered down (w/formula) Iiams kitten food. First week was only 1/2 a can split in 2 bowls, then today was full can... Then I started getting po-poo all over.. Cleaned that up, put newspaper down to save carpet... So they go on papers.. I'm trying to grab them as I see them squat, & put them in their litter box.. It's a battle.. Then I put them in moms (when cleaned out mostly) they think they're in trouble...there is a cuple going in there, too. But I heard yur NOT SUPPOSED TO 'MAKE THEM GO IN LITTER BOX' ... Sooo, HELP!!! Shud I set up more litter boxes? I have a cuple more. I don't think they like the pine pellets that my Persians use, their momma didn't, she went all over the floor!! But I fear if I put her litter in several boxes, mom will use them, and she passes logs the size of a Doberman!!! (Sorry to be gross!) I just don't want the babies in that.. Moms pee spots are also HUGE!! I use litter that is CLAY-FREE, And Flushable. Clay litter goes back into the ground AND NEVER BIODEGRADES!! The process to make it is poisoness, too! The dust kills cats... (Sorry, got on my Jackson Galaxy soapbox...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, a big litter box is necessary for mom, and 3 or 4 kitten sized ones for 8 kittens who are learning.

All the cats need litter, whatever kind you prefer, since they will not use pine pellets.

Yes, you must put them in before and after meals, and several other times through the day - not just when you see them squatting. You can take a little paw and show them how to dig. Kittens generally catch on quickly.

How many times a day are you feeding them canned food? They need it 3-4 times a day. You can water it down less as they grow. And leave kitten chow down 24-7 for them.