It's time to go.....HURRICANE GUSTAV!! (this is long...sorry)

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and your family and kitties please be safe. I will light a candle and say some prayers for you and the Gulf region.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am impressed with your planing esp re the cats and especially the little guy in the garage for the time being. Please stay safe and let us know how you are!!! Take care!!!!! My thoughts are with you!

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you left, i hope you can get to a com. I left my desktop computer when we evacuated. I have my laptop wich is nice. turns out the place we evacuated to has dsl, so I am lucky.

I am hoping for the best for you and your family. I understand the frusteration and madness with evacuating. It was crazy the line of cars yesterday morning as we were leaving. Lines to get into the bathrooms were crazy long, and gas stations running out of gas along the rout.

catlover603

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your loved ones and everyone in the hurricane's path. Stay safe.

Claudia

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I´m so sorry about your rushes sophie...
Last week we thought that Gustav were hitting our country but he "change" his trayectory to EU...

for you my friend and your kittys......
Please be safe...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophie, I have been tracking Gustav as well. for you, your family and you kitty kids. Great job locking the foster guy in the garage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I'm back. I've been back since Wednesday, but it's been rather hectic. First of all, thanks for all the well wishes, vibes, & prayers. They worked.
There was no damage at my house or at my parent's house.

The Saturday before the storm was crazy. We were planning to leave sometime Sunday. It was announced that contra-flow on I-49 would start on Sunday at 6:00 am. That was then changed to 4:00 am. We didn't want to be stuck in that traffic, so we decided to leave Saturday night. After a crazy, frantic, stressful day, we left Saturday at 11:25 pm. We stopped off at my house and grabbed Foster out of my garage. I had my 3 cats in a cage in the back of my durango. My dad had my mom's cat with him in his truck. I was supposed to bring Foster in my car in a carrier, but my mom suggested that she take him in her car since I already had 3 cats. Once we reached my cousin's house, she informed me that he had pooped shortly after they left. She said the smell was horrible right next to her.
We didn't have any traffic delays. Bella had thrown up in the cage and Ansel had some dried, stiff fur in a couple of spots. So, she either threw up on him, or he layed in it or something. The night ended with my large dog cage set up with my 3 cats in it (with divider because Zan can be mean). Foster got the smaller dog cage all to himself. Those 2 cages were in the same room with a bunch of exercise equipment. My mom's cat went in the room where she & dad slept that first night. I slept on the floor with my cats. VERY uncomfortable. The only other bed in their house was the one my mom & dad had. My mom left the next morning to go to meet the nursing home group where they had evacuated her mother to. I went in the room several times during the day to let me cats out for liter box use since I couldn't have one in the cage with them. Ansel had an accident the first night and got pee on my cousin's carpet. How embarrassing! Anyway, the day of the storm, Monday, during a huge wind gust, the top of a pine tree snapped and hit the roof directly over the room where my cats were. It put 2 holes in the roof, but didn't come through into the house. The whole house shook. When I ran back there and lifted the quilt I had over their cage, they were all wide-eyed and standing. Poor babies! We decided to leave from my cousin's house Wednesday morning. They still didn't have power, but I had found out from the neighbor across the street from my house that I had no damage and we never lost power. Looking back on it, we could have simply gone to my house. On the trip back, Bella threw up twice and Ansel had it all over his back legs and in his paws. Once we got home Wednesday afternoon, it was non-stop. Unloading the car, washing 6 loads of laundry, vacuuming the mess I tracked in, etc. I had to work the next day and I got to bed after midnight. I wake up at 4:15 for work and was not functioning well that day. We could do nothing at work because our servers (located at headquarters in Baton Rouge) were down. Several of us played bourre' in the conference room. We used coffee stirrers as our money.
At 1:00, they sent us home and told us to call the hotline that is set up to see if we had to work Friday. I went to my house and slept for 4 hours!!!!
I called the hotline and we had to work Friday. Got to work Friday and it was the same thing. We had no access to our servers. I get off at 11:00 am on Fridays. I ran a few errands then went to my house to start cleaning up the yard. I'm still not finished.

I'll post a few pictures later tonight when I get back home. I'm off to work at my house. I have to finish cleaning up in the yard and have painting to continue in my kitchen.

Now we have to pay attention to Hurricane Ike.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie!...
I nice to see you here again!...

I know what you mean, ..
about the rushes of the hurricane, everytime that Is one near to our area we live in the city a psycho collective....

but the wonderful is you´re here not hurt!...

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you got back safely! I didn't realize how good I have it with NygtShade until I read about your cats. Maybe if I had her mom, and Mysyc with her it would have been different. Glad they are safe in Wyoming.

Hope everything settles down for you.

We are also keeping an eye on Ike.

I just heard we are heading home this afternoon. There is no electricity there yet, so we will see what will happen when I get back there.

Be safe.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that y'all are all all right, and that you didn't suffer any serious damage!

It sounds as if your furbies had a difficult ordeal, but at least they survived and all - hopefully they won't be traumatized too much. Poor babies!

I sure hope that you don't have to turn right around and leave again!
I'm keeping an eye on Ike, too. They're still not sure where it's gonna go..

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK....pictures as promised....

These are 2 of Foster...the cat that lives at my house that I don't yet live in.
This was on Saturday when I got there to start boarding up some of my windows. I opened up my garage and he went in and went right where you see him. I have never seen him do this. Maybe he could sense something was up.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are pictures once everything was set up at my cousin's house.

This is Foster in his cage.

Here are my 3 indoor cats....Ansel & Bella on one side and Zan on the other side. Sorry about the eyes.

The next 2 pictures show the distance of the pine trees to the house. This is the window on the side of the house.

The next 3 pictures are from the front window of the house after the branch snapped and fell. It really wasn't that big of a branch. This is the same room.

Ansel obviously comfortable.

Zan was a little comfortable too out of the cage.

This is a picture to show one of the boxes for the cage. At the time this was taken, I could not find Zan anywhere. I knew she was out of the cage, but I looked everywhere. I moved the box to look behind it and it felt a little heavy.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I forgot to mention in an earlier post. Zan is a short stubby cat. She has stubby little legs and a stubby little tail. Ansel weighs 11.8 pounds and she weighs in at 11.6. She needs to lose weight. The doctor said I should first try cutting back on the amount of food she gets (she only gets 1/2 cup a day). Anyway, on this hurricane trip, she wouldn't eat. She finally ate a little bit on the last night we where there. When we got home I weighed her again. She went from 11.6 to 10.4.

These pictures were taken Wednesday evening after we had been home for several hours.

Zan on my pillow that I had taken with me.

This is my mom's cat, Thumper on the pillow next to Zan.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

This is my mom's cat, Thumper on the pillow next to Zan.
AWWW!

I'm glad you're back home, safe with your kitties.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Hi all. I'm back. I've been back since Wednesday, but it's been rather hectic. First of all, thanks for all the well wishes, vibes, & prayers. They worked.
There was no damage at my house or at my parent's house.
glad you and the kitties are safe and sound.
have to admit one of the reasons i started coming back to TCS was i was checking to see how things where going for you, during the weather.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

glad you and the kitties are safe and sound.
have to admit one of the reasons i started coming back to TCS was i was checking to see how things where going for you, during the weather.
Awww that's so sweet Bruce. Thanks for thinking of me.