It's Time For Apples!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked at our favorite orchard and the Grannies are ready! We'll be going down on Saturday; leave early, grab some breakfast at the Cracker Barrel, then pick our apples and come back home. At that orchard, the price is based on bag size; they don't weigh. You can stuff the bag full, but you must be able to tie the bag shut. They have small, medium, and large plastic bags. We always get 4-5 large bags of a variety of apples, stuff them as full as we can and still be able to tie them shut. And then the sixth bag is nothing but Grannies that I use for munching on....for me and for The Beast. The Beast just loves her apples, too. They also have apple cider doughnuts and we'll grab some to munch on on our way home. I'll pick up some apple cider to make the apple cake and I may try some apple cider doughnuts to see how they turn out. I use apple cider to make a glaze for roast pork, too.

It's going to be a busy weekend. We'll be making applesauce, apple pies, apple dumplings, some apple butter and then turn some of the apple butter into BBQ sauce. Rick will be happy because he used the last of last year's applesauce from the freezer a couple weeks ago.

You know it's fall when the apples are ready!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like apple heaven at your house. ;) DH brought home a half-dozen apple cider doughnuts this past weekend. Needless to say they didn't last long. :D Our favorite apples are Jonathan and Honey Crisp. But I love the baked cinnamon granny smith apple pancake at a nearby restaurant. :yummy:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey crisp are my favorite. I buy organic but if sold out I will buy non organic. Very crispy and juicy- yummmmmmmmm,my!!!!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Granny Smith are my favorite too. I only like them raw though. I like them cold and sliced. I don't like biting into a whole apple. They are good with slices of sharp cheddar cheese. :yummy:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use granny's for my pies! But I mix them with a sweet apple. Apple pie is my step-dad's favorite and he always wants me to make them now. The blending of the sweet and tart apples is really tasty!

We may go pick some apples this weekend and I think they are still picking granny's here too. I know they were last weekend. It's easy to go overboard. And I already have apples because I wanted to make an apple crisp before I had some dental work done; but I didn't get it done and I didn't want to make one while I couldn't chew it. :rolleyes: DS can't eat apples too so that's another one to consider. I'm going to try making a small pear crisp for DS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I don't like to drink apple cider, but I like to make things with it. I've never made apple cider doughnuts and I think it's time I tried. And there's an apple cake with frosting that you make with boiled cider (it's thicker, almost like a molasses); it's a King Arthur recipe and it is so good.

At that orchard, we'll go around and pick up (pie) apples from the bins and put them all into the same bags. Then Rick will mark "PIE" on those bags. When I make the pies, I'll just pick up 7-8 apples (any kind because they're all good pie apples) and use them in a pie. I think apple pie is my favorite fruit pie.

Kat0121 Kat0121 Grannies are a great apple, just for eating. I'll bring one to work and slice it to go with my coffee. I like to add Cheddar, too, and will also make an apple-cheddar pie. I used to grab an apple and plop on the couch and eat it, but I can't anymore; I need to slice them, too.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles why can your son not eat apples? (If you don't mind me asking.) When our son was very young, he was allergic to applesauce, but he later outgrew it and now he'll gobble it by the quart when he can get away with it.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like Apple Heaven. I don't like the Granny for eating, but good for applesauce or pies. I do love those Honeycrisps. The local grocer has them for $1.49 lb. I see some applesauce in my future too.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like Apple Heaven. I don't like the Granny for eating, but good for applesauce or pies. I do love those Honeycrisps. The local grocer has them for $1.49 lb. I see some applesauce in my future too.
That's a good price. This is what our local store (Publix) is getting for apples this week

upload_2017-10-19_9-2-37.png

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't know why the Honeycrisps are so expensive. The are wonderful to eat, make applesauce, baked apples, pies, whatever you want to do. My favorite is either them or the Fuji apples.

My mother used in live in Pa. When she would come to spend time with us in winter, she would stop in Winchester, Va., buy lots of different kinds of apples and bring us some.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
why are Honeycrisp apples so expensive?
The Honeycrisp variety was developed by the University of Minnesota, which still holds the patent. So for every Honeycrisp yielding tree a grower buys, they have to pay a $1 royalty to the University of Minnesota. That's not the case for more common and older varieties like Red Delicious.

I agree they are expensive but they are so worth it if you can find them on sale.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles why can your son not eat apples? (If you don't mind me asking.) When our son was very young, he was allergic to applesauce, but he later outgrew it and now he'll gobble it by the quart when he can get away with it.
They don't agree with his stomach. I can let him have a little once in a while; but otherwise he's in the bathroom having a good sit. Poor kid. When I was a kid my Grandma always made me apple squares for my birthday instead of cake. (Pie in a long baking sheet.) I feel bad making all these apple desserts when he can't really have any. I hope he outgrows it.

Honeycrisp are one of my favorite apples! They really are very tasty no matter how you use them. I also like Sweet Tango apples with Maranatha's Maple Almond butter. I slice and dip. We prefer this almond butter on sandwiches and toast too. Very tasty! :drool: Pink Lady apples are great and Jazz apples are great. DD eats a lot of apples and we usually stick to those varieties when we can. I can't stand a mushy apple like red delicious though. :cringe:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been, years ago... an apple crazed person.. kind of a local authority on apples..

The orchard I used to visit had an incredible variety of apples. I sued to take my cousin's kids every year, for apple picking.. we had such a good time.. until they grew up and got too "old' to associate with me... sigh..

My favorite ones are Mutsu, and JonaGold...HoneyCrisps are great also... and Golden Delicious.. sometimes, I do crave a Granny..

I have not been apple picking for many years.. It is just me now, so it is not worth buying all those apples for one person. sigh..and the bags are so expensive,...but it is a lot of fun.. pumpkin patch, apple pies, apple donuts, samples, the small General Store, scarecrows, etc...

Love, Fresh Apple Cider!! Yum...

I used to drive up to Londonderry, New Hampshire: Mack's Apples, one of the oldest orchards in New Hampshire---huge...... such a good time..They also have a pond with ducks..and a couple of swans, you can sit there and feed them.. a few picnic tables also...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I eat an apple almost every day. Is that too much? I eat other fruit but apples are my fav

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 You know the saying: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. :) I eat a Granny Smith every day, too. I love the Grannies. Oh I love blueberries and bananas and cantaloupe. But I really love my apple every day.

artiemom artiemom I'm glad to see another Mutsu fan!

When we would go to Conn in the fall, there was an orchard in Southington where you could pick your own apples. They had really good Mutzus. Rogers Orchard. My GF lives there and she and I would spend the weekend at The Book Barn and shopping and just hanging out together. On Sunday morning, we'd hit the orchard to pick apples and to enjoy their cider doughnuts. I haven't been able to get up in a while now and I miss it. Rogers Orchard is really nice. And I always had a lot fun with my GF. Now, when we go to Vermont, we stop in to see her on the way home. And this year, I'm not going anywhere for a vacation.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone else bake apples. I love to core them, put each one on an apple baker, fill the center with butter and brown sugar with a few raisins. If I am really wanting something nice, I add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Opal apples don't turn brown like other varieties do. Opal apples are hard to find in stores. Sometimes the independent market and Wegmas has them. Gala apples are pretty good, too.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a grocery bag of Golden delicious from my tree in the back yard. Plan on peeling and precooking them for a pie which I will freeze for Thanksgiving. I will buy Macoun apples to mix with them. A little brag - I have been one of the people picked to compete in the best apple pie of New England contest, twice (never won though). You have to win the preliminary round to compete. Just a word of warning about my pie - I use between 5-8 pounds of apples per 9" pie, so you had better be hungry! For eating raw, my absolute favorite is the Ambrosia.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I just saw something on my FB feed about a new apple - Cosmic Crisp -

Home

I have a bag of Honeycrisps in my fridge that we bought in New Hampshire Columbus Day weekend.