It's Time for a Bath

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby needs a bath. He's had diarrhea for a little while. Fortunately we were able to get that issue cleared up. However since he is a longhair, some of it got stuck in his fur. I cut it all out, but he still stinks pretty bad back there. So its time for a bath.

What shampoo would you recommend? Walked in Petco the other day looking for some cat shampoo and they had all sorts of brands to pick from. I was overwhelmed with choices.

Can anyone recommend a shampoo they like that works well? Thanks!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive used baby shampoo for kittens and in between flea shampooings I use baby shampoo however one shampoo I love (I forget the brand) but it was oatmeal. It helped alot with my long hair for some odd reason without using oatmeal shampoo he would get really super staticky in the winter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming you only want to do the back end bath rather then a complete one. Either way here's how to wash the cat.

Use a mild general shampoo for CATS only - not for puppies/kittens or dogs.

1. Trim all cat's nails.
2. Be sure to comb out all tangles in the coat. This is important for long hairs.
3. Fill the tub with only about 2 inches of water and have a mat or towel on the bottom - something where the cat won't slip.
4. It works better if you have a hand held shower to rinse.
5. Put a little shampoo on the area you need washed after you get the coat wet to the skin. Two people are more helpful then one is you don't do this regularly.
6. Rinse, rinse, rinse till the soap is all out - you have to use your hands (no gloves) so you can feel the fur.
7. Dry with a towel and you might want to use a blow dryer on low setting to get the fur to dry quickly.