"It's off by a hair" has taken a new literal meaning.. (Rant)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guess would be this woman has some other problem and it's manifesting itself as aggressiveness toward you.

Have you read the "Luann" comics lately? Seen Brad's problems with his employer?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm.. I do graphic design and I must say, pixel perfect isn't an obsession, it's frequently an issue with my clients.

Sometimes I need to create a layout that I hand off as a PSD, and the markup people in the company convert that to HTML/CSS. There are certain things that need to be considered. For instance, boxes and dividers need to ALWAYS be even numbers. Because css can't split an odd number evenly.

If I understand the complaint it sounds like you're designing things that are then transfered to someone else to create in real life? like, you're figuring out ways to pack items in a box in the most efficient way? am i off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

hmm.. I do graphic design and I must say, pixel perfect isn't an obsession, it's frequently an issue with my clients.

Sometimes I need to create a layout that I hand off as a PSD, and the markup people in the company convert that to HTML/CSS. There are certain things that need to be considered. For instance, boxes and dividers need to ALWAYS be even numbers. Because css can't split an odd number evenly.

If I understand the complaint it sounds like you're designing things that are then transfered to someone else to create in real life? like, you're figuring out ways to pack items in a box in the most efficient way? am i off?
I work on these projects from start to completion, then send to printers to print and create the packages. Sounds like you are on an opposite world of graphic design than where I am! lol.

This is what I was working on (and you can see how the pumpkin gets a stick up its rear..)

I have Walmart's style guide that I follow to the T! .2" of space below the hang hole.. .25" from the dielines for the pre-price stickers.. font size is this, color is that and so forth.

My point to the argument is that it's a hair off, and a hair in the better way (to pass testing). LITERALLY a hair. This goes the same for a font being "half a hair" off (no exaggeration). Customers aren't going to care if an image is "half a hair" to the right or the drop shadow is blurred by half a pixal too little.

But I do see how and why she wants everything perfect with private label items, but she does get carried away in half the cases. The previous trafficking managers (And other current ones.. INCLUDING the boss himself) don't care so much as she does. they aren't nit-picky and I never, ever had an issue with any one else here about something being "a hair off". Especially on our own packages.. we do things as it works for the package. If it doesn't work as the style guides says, we make do with best we can.. and that's not good enough for her either. (net contents doesn't fit on one line, so I had to break it to two.. she gets upset and insists I make it on one line BECAUSE the style guide says so.. HOW?! I couldn't adjust the kerning or tracking any more and in most cases, we can't.