It's looking worse... Is this cat acne??

catendo64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like something, that's for sure!  Most likely it is acne, but please get him/her to the vet to check it out.  I'm most concerned about the eye and the sores surrounding it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catendo64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I'll get him checked out as soon as I can

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't really heard of acne around their eyes.  It sort of looks like conjunctivitis. You should definitely give him Lysine to help control that.  It doesn't hurt them if it turns out not to be that.  You should clean gently around his eyes with warm moist cotton balls and Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment for the eye.  The chin area looks more like acne.  Try to keep his chin clean, you can use dawn dish soap, it is gentle.  

Definitely make sure to get him checked out as soon as possible. If it turns out to be conjunctivitis he will need medicine.  

You can buy lysine pretty cheap on amazon and I think the ointment is there too   :)  

Sodagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Catendo64,
This is EXACTLY what my kitten has. What did it end up being? The eyes are much worse though. We took him to our vet and they gave me eye cream, but nothing is helping. Please help!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's certainly looks like feline acne on the cat's chin. According to a quick Google search, cats can get it around their eyes too because there are sebaceous glands there. That's something I didn't know.

You really should get your cat to a vet.

Sodagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lavishsqualor, Hi thank for your response. I did take him to a vet and they gave Ofloaxcin and Opthalmic Ointment. It’s not working. I was curious if anyone could provide further insight. I cleaned his eyes with warm water and the skin with some dawn soap as another person suggested. I am able to get the black off but his skin under is raw. I will clean it and then apply the medicine and within 12 hours it looks like I never cleaned his eyes.
275DA8C0-6867-4DBE-881D-E6EC54B300E5.jpeg

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty!

I would keep up your current treatment with the Dawn. I'm hesitant to suggest this but some use Stridex pads to treat feline acne. Nevertheless, Ofloaxcin is an excellent quinolone antibiotic. If he doesn't bet better within a week, I'd be looking for another vet.

Last edited:

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look for vetericyn spray or gel and clean his chin with it
For the eyes... def let the vet know theres no improvement :(