Its hard to read

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Well i've also done it when i've been depressed or am not sure what to say. Then i don't use uppercase at all (although my spelling has changed since i got this keyboard a few weeks ago, they keys are so stiff and i can't type fast on it anymore! *poop*

Now i've admitted twice, someone punish me by locking me in a room full of m&ms!!! I'm trying to be good and haven't had chocolate since Sunday!!!! *sobs*
There there....
Poor baby needs some chocolate...

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

There there....
Poor baby needs some chocolate...
Do i?....

if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get chocolate i will die. if i don't get

There we go, a uniform five line paragraph
i forgot the upper case I...i can't be bothered cutting and pasting again

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

More than 5 (ish depending on punctuation etc) lines without a paragraph break and I find it hard to read, especially if bold or coloured (or both) text is used.
colored is especially hard if you're using a different forum skin than the OP... i usually highlight the post if it's in a color so i can read it...

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

There we go, a uniform five line paragraph
i forgot the upper case I...i can't be bothered cutting and pasting again
is uppercase that important? i rarely use it, unless for proper nouns... got using to typing without it years ago as a travel agent [we didn't even have shift keys then! everything was in all caps].

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said, the last thing we want is to make people feel self-conscious about their writing skills. We have folks here from all over the world -- people for whom English is not a native language, people from all walks of life and all varieties of education... and that's part of the fun of TCS!

So maybe we could post a sticky that suggests the use of paragraph breaks, commas, and periods as ways to make our posts more readable... but let's not start bombarding people with offers to "fix" their posts!
There's an implied insult there that might be very hurtful to some folks.

I know I'm gonna cry if somebody PMs me and says, "Your posts are too long! Sheesh, lady, I've already read 'War & Peace'..."

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I know I'm gonna cry if somebody PMs me and says, "Your posts are too long! Sheesh, lady, I've already read 'War & Peace'..."

The upper/lower case thing doesn't bother me at all and I will sometimes not use uppercase, I just can't read 'walls of text'

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Some people simply suffer from dyslexia, and aren't being "lazy"; it would make a big difference if other members offered to review/correct their posts.
you mean my teachers where wrong for all those years?

Well i can tell you that life with Dyslexia is not a easy thing. There is no way to get accross how hard it to express your self in the written word. Heck i cant even spell most of the words i use in the real world. It has been that way my whole life. Yes i was called lazy, stupied and a few other words by teachers. I guess that is where i learned not to care much for what other people thought about me.

I remember i did have a very hard time learning to read, but after i gave up on doing it there way, and did it mine, reading went fine. Hwo to explain.
when reading i kinda, see the whole paragraph at once. Not a sentence.
even if its mispelled or backwards( yes i have written entire sentencs backwards) My brain fixes it. I dont even see what the problem is. pointing out spelling mistakes to me is pointless,sure in a post i can change it, but i will do it again, no amount of trying is going to change it.

spell checks can help but only sometimes, sometimes even with spell check your brian just does not see,what it is telling you. take the word time.
i may spell it tmie then use spell check and it would say time, But in my head it my very well look the time, Like i said, my head seems to fix it.

lol yes i failed every english class i ever had, until we got to litature. Then i would fail the english part and get stright A in lit. Then my teachers said i was cheating. Yes i was even kicked out of high school cause my englihs teachers said i cheated on a test. Finally my mother who was teacher and understood what i had, lost it, and made them test me. at 17 years old my written ability was about age 10, my reading ability was to high for them score. They had to call in someone else, to find out my reading level was equal to someone with a PHD.

I had alot of luck in college as i had several teachers who spotted it on the first essay tests i took. They then would have me come to there office to let me take that part of a test oral.

So you see, help, fixing a post, or sending a PM to someone such as me, would do no good. its dealing with something that cant be fixed. For me writting even this much is very hard work. that is why i tend to keep most of post to just a few words.

i just wanted to say, that i k now some chinese and indo, and i do the same when trying to write in those also. How my issue does not go into numbers or math there are those do. i think it was cher that has to have other people dial phone numbers for her.

i really cant tell you how many times i wanted to bash my head into a wall or punch a teacher,
due to my inablity to write or spell and or there lack of understanding

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

you mean my teachers where wrong for all those years?

Well i can tell you that life with Dyslexia is not a easy thing. There is no way to get accross how hard it to express your self in the written word. Heck i cant even spell most of the words i use in the real world. It has been that way my whole life. Yes i was called lazy, stupied and a few other words by teachers. I guess that is where i learned not to care much for what other people thought about me.

I remember i did have a very hard time learning to read, but after i gave up on doing it there way, and did it mine, reading went fine. Hwo to explain.
when reading i kinda, see the whole paragraph at once. Not a sentence.
even if its mispelled or backwards( yes i have written entire sentencs backwards) My brain fixes it. I dont even see what the problem is. pointing out spelling mistakes to me is pointless,sure in a post i can change it, but i will do it again, no amount of trying is going to change it.

spell checks can help but only sometimes, sometimes even with spell check your brian just does not see,what it is telling you. take the word time.
i may spell it tmie then use spell check and it would say time, But in my head it my very well look the time, Like i said, my head seems to fix it.

lol yes i failed every english class i ever had, until we got to litature. Then i would fail the english part and get stright A in lit. Then my teachers said i was cheating. Yes i was even kicked out of high school cause my englihs teachers said i cheated on a test. Finally my mother who was teacher and understood what i had, lost it, and made them test me. at 17 years old my written ability was about age 10, my reading ability was to high for them score. They had to call in someone else, to find out my reading level was equal to someone with a PHD.

I had alot of luck in college as i had several teachers who spotted it on the first essay tests i took. They then would have me come to there office to let me take that part of a test oral.

So you see, help, fixing a post, or sending a PM to someone such as me, would do no good. its dealing with something that cant be fixed. For me writting even this much is very hard work. that is why i tend to keep most of post to just a few words.

i just wanted to say, that i k now some chinese and indo, and i do the same when trying to write in those also. How my issue does not go into numbers or math there are those do. i think it was cher that has to have other people dial phone numbers for her.
Awwww
Great job on your post!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

to me, that sounds more like dysgraphia than dyslexia. but they are very closely related.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

to me, that sounds more like dysgraphia than dyslexia. but they are very closely related.
yea, i know, but they are kinda tied together the say no, i say they are are, Dyslexic dysgraphia how some say they are un related, at least in me, they both seem to be alive and living very well, lol . since i do seem to have the signs of both.

unlike some, i dont seem to have any issues with motor skills. mine jsut seems to show up in spelling and writting it would seem to me in the reading i have done, they have broken Dyslexic into different groups. with dysgraphia being one of those.

oh yea i wanted to add, that i dont think back when i was school they went so far as to give it different names? Also back then special Ed class;s where for the kids that where Slow,which i was not slow. the teacher was so good at her job, that she never even looked at my files. So what i got was reading stuff to do, which was suppoed to keep my busy for 3 months that i finished in 1 day. i was then kicked out of school for figthing with the teacher who did not beleave me, I remember my mother came to school to see, and the teacher said i was carrying war and peace just for looks(what teen would carry war and peace? like it would have made me look cool to other kids? lol)

lol well in truth, i said, fine, test me on it.
teacher said, no need i know you did not read it.
i said, what to many words for you?
that is what got me kicked out for 3 days. yea i was kicked out a few times for fighting back,

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno. I guess I don't care, I read posts whenever I can, whatever they look like.
But, I tend to read & think "outside the box". To me, the one entire paragraph is easier to read & comprehend. That's just the way my brain works. I type out things as one HUGE paragraph, then seperate it for others to read.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yea, sorry if i make anyone get a headache or your eyes start to bleed reading my posts

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I avoid walls of text as well. It just hurts to read when there are no breaks.

Strange colors will also make me skip a post.

I don't mind capitalization or grammer/spelling as I know that english may not be someones first language so I can deal with that.

I think on the most part by the title of the thread and the first sentence of a post I can tell if the poster is upset so even if the post is a wall of text I will try and take the time to read it knowing the person is upset and they are clearly having hard time posting to begin with.

Maybe if more people would take a breath and sit back and read their post after they write them they might realize that if they get the eye strain then so will other readers. I always preview and re-read before I send the post. Just a suggestion

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard for me to read too. I am probably guilty of making mine longer than they should be too but I try not to.
Posts typed in all lower case letters kind of bother me too though.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hardly ever post, so i don't think I have to much to worry about as far the run on posts
plus i use a lot of smileys so I think that breaks things up.

I'm actually a nut about spelling so I *try* to make sure I spell everything correctly, but it really doesn't matter if someone else doesn't. But I do agree that those really long one paragraph posts are a bit difficult to read, i usually end up skimming.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must say I find that all the views here are well thought out and expressed well.

I know I have tended to just put everything in one big lump of a paragraph. It is how I think sometimes, especially in emotional situation. I will try harder in the future to avoid that.

What I find I have the most problem with are the light coloured prints. My biggest difficulty is with the pinks for some reason. I have been known to just skip those posts completely as they strain my eyes.

I never factor in to the equation someone's spelling or grammar. My mind just automatically corrects or intreprets it (more like intreprets as I am not a great speller).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh yea, sorry if i make anyone get a headache or your eyes start to bleed reading my posts
I didn't mean you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to emphasize that my comment was not intended to hurt anyone's feelings. I just want to be able to read your posts.

Thanks for the suggestions about the colors and bold text. It didn't even cross my mind!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

unlike some, i dont seem to have any issues with motor skills. mine jsut seems to show up in spelling and writting it would seem to me in the reading i have done, they have broken Dyslexic into different groups. with dysgraphia being one of those.
i had a student, once, who had ONLY dysgraphia. he could read, but i thought he couldn't spell... but when testing him, i found he could spell up to mid-5th grade level [this was a 4th grader] he just couldn't write it down. he could spell either orally or if he used the computer. after that, he did all of his spelling tests sitting at my computer & typing them. i changed the settings on MS Word so it didn't alert to a misspelled word. i've done that since for several other students - somehow, for some kids, bypassing the brain-to-hand thing seems to help.