Its gonna cost HOW MUCH??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I worked for Ford for 20 yrs-here is a liitle known fact. Complain really loudly and say you want some assistance from the factory-a;; dealers have Ford reps who come around (if its a large-med store) or call (if its a smaller store). The reps have some leeway on waiving some of these costs. Yrs ago-back in 1989 when I have my 87 Merc Sable some fuel monitor went in my gas tank-it was expensive to fix I complained and got the cost lowered dramatically!! If course working for Ford (Ford Credit) probably helped. It the squeaky wheel gets the grease-give it a shot-you need to speak with the shop mgr for this. Also find out if there had been any recalls on this-too bad I don't work for Ford anymore but we had access to look at the reported problems as if there are consistent problems which a specific model but not enough for a recall-they should eat some of the cost for you.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah definitely check the recalls - there have been ALOT of the F150s, right now they are changing all the bumpers due to rust which is great because a while back someone backed (looks like at least) into ours and drove off and we haven't had it fixed yet.

For Ford you can check recalls here:
Canada and USA

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so spoiled! DH was a diesel mechanic when we met. Didn't pay real well, but he can do most repairs himself! It literally saves us thousands of dollars every year!

With him out of work this summer, its a good thing we haven't had any really big expenses yet. I think the largest was minor surgery for my dog Misty, at about $350!

I think you are at a crooked shop. I've never heard of an axle being replaced for leaking grease. Do you know any mechanics, even backyard mechanics, who can go in with you to talk to them? (Or any lawyers!
)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The F150 (or at least ours) has a back axle problem in general, ours had a problem where something turned too quickly making the brakepads basically melt, then it had some weird ridge because of the rubbing from the melted brake pad, then it had something loose back there, all under warranty but still a pain!

And we just had it in for the back brakes again.

Someone once told me you need to find out what day the truck was made on the assembly line and only accept trucks made on a tuesday or wednesday as the other days are not so good... I wonder if its true

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Ford tried to tell Lee that his rotor for his brakes had been turned several times (which they haven't because we have owned the truck since day 1) and that the hardened steel axle was severly damaged from the rubber seal (which is almost impossible beuase rubber just can't wear a groove that big into a STEEL axle). Then after all of that they told Lee that his repairs wouldn't be under warranty becuase we didn't replace the axle that was recommended by the mechanic.
best of all when Lee argued with the guy about it he got mad and walked off not answering Lee's questions because Lee actually knew what he was talking about!!

And talking about the sqeaky wheel! Lee LOVES to argue and got really loud with some of the people there. They knocked the price down about 26 buck (whoopty doo) and I filed a complaint with the BBB. Truck isn't under warranty but he likes to take it to the dealership anyway. And there is a recall on the cruise control that starts fires randomly and the disable Lee's which he raised cain about since he had to pay extra for that option!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only ever had one Ford - a Crown Victoria which is supposed to one of their top cars - mine was an absolute lemon. It was then I realized that FORD really stood for "Fix Or Repair Daily".

But having said that, I think you can get a lemon in any make of car and also there are dealers and service centres that are less than honest. Your best bet is to ask around - friends and co-workers, etc. to find out who they go to for their vehicles and what their experience has been.

We drive VW diesel cars and getting a good diesel mechanic is tricky so when we found one we stuck with him.