It's getting cold and I'm worried

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: SO glad she's using the shelter you made for her! :clap:

As to the aggressive cat.... perhaps a trap and sterilization is in order. That often helps calm them down a lot. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rodica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought I'd send an update!

She is going into her house - but only to eat.  She is not afraid of it, she happily goes in with her whole body to munch on food, but will not sleep in it.

We are having 20 degree nights.  I did get her to go into the basement the other night but it is erratic.

We did get the heated pad and she LOVES it!!! She sits or lays on it all the time - we started with it on a chair outside the front door, we now have it right outside her house and tomorrow afternoon we will try and put it in the house - if we can get her off of it long enough!!

I'm hoping she loves it so much that she will go in the house to sit on it.

comments and suggestions are greatly welcome!!

R

rodica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so far no go!! She will stay on the heating pad all day and night if it is next to the box, but put it in the box and she won't make that extra step.

It is suppose to rain for the next three days - the pad is in the box and I'm going to control myself and leave it there!  But if she refuses by tomorrow and is getting cold and wet I'll put it on the chair in the porch that she likes and try and shield her from the wind.

aarrggh outsmarted by a wild cat.

R

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there two ways in/out of the box? That may help to add an exit, if you only have one. :nod:
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was wondering the same thing - is there another exit :). I am having the same issue with my feral, Willow. I now am putting the bowls into the back lower section of the villa. I have the heating pad on the second level with a bit of straw on top. He has yet to venture in that far. I am forcing the issue by placing the bowls just under the opening to the second level. I really want him to use it - as it is going to be getting very, very cold soon . I saw him today very, very cautiously sneaking in a bit further to eat - but kept backing out looking scared :lol2:. I think he thinks it is another trap. Can't blame him - but I am getting a bit miffed with him wondering why he has to be SOOOOOO very cautious - but my intellect tells me that I know better. Being very, very cautious and having a strong sense of self-preservation is what has kept him safe and able to survive an outdoor life. :nod:

Last edited:

rodica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good point -there is only one exist.  we are using the design that makes use of a rubbermaid crate - I'm not sure we can cut a second opening in this one - would have to get something much bigger.  But I'll look again

it is raining today and she is no where around - so maybe she has gone back to using the garage - 

the fox was around yelping again last night - I saw her after the fox left so I know she is safe but I guess I'm a worrier

R

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a feral villa that at the moment is not being used except as a place for the ferals to get some food at night.  Last year, Shadow was too afraid to go inside.  I had a feeling he didn't like the design and felt trapped.  DH had built it with a wind break so he had to go around a corner and there was no back exit.  Mr. Raccoon moved in sometime in February.  I believe he would open the lid as I doubt he could fit through the small hole.  Earlier this fall, I had DH modify the shelter.  He added a back exit, put in small plexiglass window and added a latch to the lid.  I then placed the structure on a table away from anything a raccoon could climb on.  Both of my ferals go inside and check it out and sometimes stay inside for a few minutes, but rarely stay.  I started leaving a bit of dry food in it at night if they don't finish their food before I need to bring it in for the night.  I have seen them both inside, but it is small in there.  They use both the entrance and exit.  I also have the window facing into my house so I can see when they are inside.  I so wanted someone to use it as DH spent so much time working on it.  But for now it is serving its purpose.  The two prefer to curl up together on their loveseat with heated pads. 

I did read an article on adding additional heat source to the feral villas by adding a light fixture covered with a metal coffee can.  It didn't look hard to do at all.  It was my plan to try this if the shelter was getting used.  If anyone is interested in the article I believe I bookmarked it and can post it.  You just need to buy a simple light socket, 60-75 watt bulb ( that could be spray painted black so as not to emit too much light) and a coffee can.  I believe they also sell special light bulbs that are for heat source only and do not emit light.  You can also get a special plug that only turns the fixture on when the temp is below 35. 

rodica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wanted to send an exciting update!! 

Last night she used her cat house for the first time and she is in it right now, this morning!!  The reason is the heating pad that we call her tuffet!  She loves it and I think lives on it.  Thank you so much for suggesting this great item - it has made a huge difference in the life of this little feral cat.

It started to rain yesterday so I stuffed the heating pad into the cat house so it wouldn't get too wet and a little while later - there she was, curled up in the box on her favorite item,

so thank you all very much for sending us the info!!!

R

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap: Gives us such peace of mind knowing they are staying warm and cozy and using the houses we have for our ferals. Then we don't worry so much. Great News :D :clap::wavey:

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad that she is trying to go in. My feral Bella loves sleeping outside on the porch at night because it has been pretty warm out at night. In the day hours she sleeps in her heated house. But when it is cold out she knows to go in her house at night. Reading this post makes me think she is a senior kitty. She just says so close to the porch all day long. She has know teeth in the front.she came to me 3 years ago. Sometimes in the morning she looks like she wants to come in but my husband says not because we have my spoiled brat cat ween. She is his little girl. Haha and she does not like other cats.she has to put up with my dog always chasing her around the house. But they get along very well. My feral get so frightened with the wind. That's when she wants to come in or she goes under the deck. I sit out there with her at night for a while. Well it is going to get very very cold the next couple of days. But we have been very lucky so far with the weather.
:D:vibes::D