It's getting close!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here it has been 2weeks ad 4 days since the first time I felt any movement of her babies.  Still no signs of labor.  Finally got a good nights sleep last night, figured for sure since I slept thru the night there would be babies this morning, but nope.  Just thought I would give an update...  

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I think its about time.  She is laying on the sofa, which she never does, crying to be petted and breathing really fast.  She is not panting like they show on youtube videos.  Just breathing really fast.

Please tell me if this sounds like it could be the start of labor.  Now 35 minutes late she is laying in her box quietly and not really moving.  I think this might be it. 

Last edited:

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well then heavy breathing stopped and she is calm now. Please can someone tell me if it is normal for the heavy beathing to stop?  I was so sure that she was getting ready for labor. 

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hina would breath a bit faster then calm down again, she was fine until a few minutes before each kitten then would just push like straining to poop then a kitten would come out. She slept by her litter box for like two days before the births and honestly she was fine right up until the first one, I didn't even have enough time to get her into her nesting box before it popped out.

I'm no pro obviously lol but I can tell you that mine didn't show the classic signs of labor until the last moment. Did she start pushing, or just start breathing heavy?

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just breathed really heavy and very fast for a couple of hours.She was climbing all over my husband and myself meowing and rubbing all up on up on us. then just stopped.  Now she is just layin around again, totally calm. 

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is in her box now, after getting lots of loves from my husband and I. She is breathing heavy again. Even my husband is thinking it might be tonight. 

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SHE IS HAVING CONTRACTIONS!!!  PLEASE keep your fingers crossed that I dont freak out

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so far we have two babies!  She is being a good mommy and taking good care of the babies so far

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have three and she seems to be taking a break.  number one and three and eating like crazy number two seems to be trying to jockey for position more than anything.  Nobody warned me of the stinkiness of the whole thing. Wow. not sure when to disrupt everyone and change the bedding. but it is wet and stinky

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, We are up to 4 babies.  Solid grey, grey striped, number three is the most beautiful orange and black stripe and number four is solid white. BIG QUESTION: how and when do I change the bedding in he "nest" ???  I will weigh them when I chagne out the bedding for the first time but they all seem reallyhealthy and feisty

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Number four came our solid white

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 BIG QUESTION: how and when do I change the bedding in he "nest" ???  I will weigh them when I chagne out the bedding for the first time but they all seem reallyhealthy and feisty
How: Easiest is to have a basic reserve bed [nest].   And you move them to this second nest, and can change bed in the main nest, without stress nor great hurry.   When: Best to do it every day, but if they dont soil it is acceptable to do it say thrice a week.

Moms dont like smelly bed, it is one of the reasons they tend to move the kittens elsewhere.

Begin with weighing as soon you can, so you get this first measure, and have something to compare with...

Do it respectfully to the mom, ie near the nest, so the mom sees you and the kitten, and she sees you are careful. Do it rather quickly before they kitten feels alone and begans to protest...

Good luck!

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! You got some neat colors by the sounds of it :) I'm glad the wait is over for you guys!

As far as bedding on my end, I change it once a day at about the same time when I weigh them and I clean the scale before each use because I'm trying to keep everything as clean as I can manage :). My mommy kitty is eager to get away from them for some food so it's not hard for me to work with them as she doesn't mind. She eats and then goes back in and lays down when we are both done with what we set out to do.

I don't know if your cat has used the restroom yet but my girl didn't poop for two days and I was worried but she's going okay now.

Let us know what they weigh and how they are doing! I get nervous when weighing time comes as I don't want to see loss or little gain, I have bad anxiety though so that's just me lol. So far they are all gaining good, yesterday the smallest gain was 7g which I read was okay but I'm hoping for more today.

Again congratulations, keep us updated! :)

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we have 4 healthy kittens. Ranging in weight from 110 to 124 grams. She started contracting and tried to have the first one on the sofa!  She bit me when I moved her but the baby was coming out and I didn't want it on the couch.  She did fine, didn't need a thing from me. 

cricketncleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not sure why my updates wont post.  She had 4 healthy little babies last night.  tried to have them on the sofa!!  OH NO!  But, got her in her box and she did great.  The 3rd one didnt move or make a sound for a while and it was kinda scary but then was fine.  We have one solid grey, One solid white, one grey striped and one that is a beautiful pattern of caramel and black. Everyone is eating and seem content.  the kittens ranged in weight from 105 grams to 124.  I think that is pretty healthy weights. Thanks for the kind words. :)