It's been 65 days and still nothing...

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a small Persian kitten she about 10 months old this is her first. So after all this time her temperature is 98.7 from her rear and she hasnt been nesting yet or at least I think she hasn't. Two days ago she started twitching from the sides im not sure what that means but when it happens she lays down and starts licking her neck and then her side and then basically shower. She was tired couldnt move. Now shes running all over the place to play not to nest. Whats going on? Oh and no milk secretion.

Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking kittens when I meant to write cat sorry

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,

I have a small Persian kitten she about 10 months old this is her first. So after all this time her temperature is 98.7 from her rear and she hasnt been nesting yet or at least I think she hasn't. Two days ago she started twitching from the sides im not sure what that means but when it happens she lays down and starts licking her neck and then her side and then basically shower. She was tired couldnt move. Now shes running all over the place to play not to nest. Whats going on? Oh and no milk secretion.

Thanks in advance.
The temp has dropped, so its nearing.   Are you prepared?   10 month is young, and for a persian pretty young.   So be ready she wont know what to do the first days.  Be ready to help extra, both at birth and the day care.   Get home some kitten mothermilk replacement, kmr, and or goats milk.   Some glucose sugar - may be honey.   A scale...  A needleless syringe of 1-1,5 ml, or a dropper.

Milk comes often first after delivery. But a wise owner has some kmr or goats milk ready, just if.

The running may be a way to get things going.   Cats with some constipation are often running around.

Rub her tummy if she wants and allows.  Its nice massage, and it helps the hormones coming.

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The temp has dropped, so its nearing.   Are you prepared?   10 month is young, and for a persian pretty young.   So be ready she wont know what to do the first days.  Be ready to help extra, both at birth and the day care.   Get home some kitten mothermilk replacement, kmr, and or goats milk.   Some glucose sugar - may be honey.   A scale...  A needleless syringe of 1-1,5 ml, or a dropper.

Milk comes often first after delivery. But a wise owner has some kmr or goats milk ready, just if.

The running may be a way to get things going.   Cats with some constipation are often running around.
Rub her tummy if she wants and allows.  Its nice massage, and it helps the hormones coming.
I have a powdered mother milk replacement and a bottle with different teat sizes a warming pad some training sheets, surgical gloves and non scented baby wipes am I missing anything. She's also still eating and drinking I have her on kitten diet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a powdered mother milk replacement and a bottle with different teat sizes a warming pad some training sheets, surgical gloves and non scented baby wipes am I missing anything. She's also still eating and drinking I have her on kitten diet.
You need a small scale to weigh the kittens and a small needle less syringe. It's easier if the babies won't suckle.

Are you a breeder? Do you own the father too?

It's quite possible that she'll have issues delivering since she is young and Persian. Do you have an emergency vet nearby?

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need a small scale to weigh the kittens and a small needle less syringe. It's easier if the babies won't suckle.

Are you a breeder? Do you own the father too?

It's quite possible that she'll have issues delivering since she is young and Persian. Do you have an emergency vet nearby?
I have an emergency vet I dont own the father the pregnancy was unplanned and I seem to be missing the needle less syringe

Thank you so much for your help

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She gave birth but it doesnt seem like.shes secreting any milk what now

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ultra sound detected 3 and she just had the third, chances of a fourth are close to non

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's breathing quickly though I thought at this point she should rest not breath rapidly

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's breathing quickly though I thought at this point she should rest not breath rapidly
Some aftercontractions is common.   This also makes it delay with the milk coming.

Look out if there ARE any complications.

Be prepared to help witht the kittens, drying them off, keeping them warm and cozy.  (heating pad if necessary, or your chest)

The milk as such may wait a while, if they are healthy they can manage and wait.   But if no momma milk comes, make do this kmr.  body tempered!

If you dont have no syringe, you can use a dropper, or even a straw - although straw is more difficult of course.

Tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, dropwise...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also weitht them now, if you have a scale.  If you dont have a scale, try to appreciate the weigh manually, so you perhaps do notice differences - are they going up or not.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms produce colostrum first. Full milk may take a day or so. If you feel they are not getting anything, do supplement with formula - tiny drops.

Please let us know how things are going.

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is my latest update I think they're dining milk 3 of them are well over 100 g one is 55g and I'm having issues preparing the kmr

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the issues you're having? The small one needs immediate help.

mrmj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One part kmr two part water is coming out think and she isnt accepting the bottle

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
M mrmj

That is the correct way to mix the powdered formula, however, you may want to make it slightly thinner for now. You need to use a tiny 1or 2 mL syringe or dropper and go drop by drop in the side of the kitten's mouth. She's too tiny and weak to take a bottle. She needs 1/2 to 1 mL every hour, possibly even just a few drops every 30 minutes for now!

ETA: Please read this link:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/premature-kittens

Last edited: