It's almost time....

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent, well done. I'm sure they'll be happy with that space. It'll really help with them being able to see mum eat and use the litter tray. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excellent, well done. I'm sure they'll be happy with that space. It'll really help with them being able to see mum eat and use the litter tray. 
Thanks! Sometimes it really hard to explain what is going on in this brain of mine, I basically drew up what I wanted done, and while I was at work today my boyfriend built it and put it in!

Milo loves it, seeing as he was climbing out of the little space they were in, he loves to wander around, Melvin isn't quite sure what to make of it yet, but he'll learn. He's a little slower than Milo, he's not quite as curious yet as Milo is, but I know that will be short lived! Soon they will figure out how to get out of that! My hopes are they will be pretty much litter trained by then, but you never know they shock us all!

They don't seem to interested in what Sophia is doing when she is eating quite yet, but I'm sure that too will be short lived.

I was getting worried, because everything that I have read on here and other places says they need to be able to see mommy do it, and I was like "Shot! How can they see from where they are!?!?" but this is going to be the perfect solution to that!

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kittens are just slower than others, mine all eat by 4 weeks but I know of others who can take 5-6 weeks. 

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kittens are just slower than others, mine all eat by 4 weeks but I know of others who can take 5-6 weeks. 
Well that's good to know! At least I'll have it offered to them if they want to Start now.

Another question...should the kittens be offered water or is that something that should be waited in? They are going to be fed wet like Sophia which I know most cats that eat wet generally don't drink eater but she always has some just don't know if they should have some to if they want it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, leave a bowl of water in there. They'll find that around the same time as food, though sometimes will drink for a few days first 

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will make sure to do that.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Sometimes it really hard to explain what is going on in this brain of mine, I basically drew up what I wanted done, and while I was at work today my boyfriend built it and put it in!
Yeah I thought you meant a store  bought pen, like a playpen, and that just wasn't going to work at all. This is the perfect solution!

I'm glad that, even though it is your first litter, you were smart enough to just buy plywood and build it. At first I tried baby gates (which they figured out how to climb in less that a day) then tried making my own configuration out of cardboard boxes and books. I don't know why it took so long to sink into my brain that if you build it, a kitten will find a way out of it!!! 
 Congrats on skipping those embarrassing steps!!!

Oh, and agreed with MM, some kittens are just slower and not starting until 5-6 weeks is perfectly normal. Keep dry food out with the water too so they can start to munch on that when they are ready. It will surprise you- they will go from totally uninterested to chowing down in just one day! Also remember the first few days can be pretty messy so be prepared for hand and foot washing! 

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Sophia in there, her wet food, her hard food is in its usual spot, because i have failed to keep remembering to buy more kitten hard food for her because we ran out, so I'd rather make sure I have kitten hard to put in there too with them.

I put a a water bowl in there...in the matter of minutes the kittens were soaked along with the area around it...It looks like someone decided to play in it. 
 But they are hilarious right now, they run around and are starting to pounce (at least Milo is) Melvin hit a huge milestone for himself and is finally walking on all fours!! Grammie couldn't be any prouder! 

Milo is very curious and loves to watch everything! He def knows my voice because I talk and he will watch me and follow me around in the box when i go in there to sit with them. He loves toes!! It's cute but it's starting to hurt little bit....but Melvin (just talking about him makes me all gushy inside) will climb in my lap and sit there watching Milo run around and the other people that are around, Melvin loves his Grammie!!! 

An odd thing though...Milo eyes are bright blue and beautiful, but Melvin's are combo of Green and blue? Maybe he will be a beautiful green eyed boy! 

My fingers are crossed!

I've actually thought about keeping Melvin for myself...I just love him! He's like the little fat kid that sits in the corner, if I could feed him chocolate cake I probably would he's that darn cute!  

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put a a water bowl in there...in the matter of minutes the kittens were soaked along with the area around it...It looks like someone decided to play in it. 
Yes they'll do that 
 I have one at the moment who's always taken a dip in the water bowl, now at 6 weeks she likes paddling in one of the fountains. 

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An odd thing though...Milo eyes are bright blue and beautiful, but Melvin's are combo of Green and blue? Maybe he will be a beautiful green eyed boy! 

My fingers are crossed!
This is normal. All kittens start out with blue eyes and around 4-6 weeks they start to change color. Milo's may stay blue or may start to "grey out" and gradually start to change into their permanent color. Melvin's may go green or may transition on. Sometimes the permanent color doesn't settle for the first year, so it's always a surprise!

I love to hear they are exploring and getting used to the new digs. Be careful about letting them play with fingers and toes- it's cute now but not so cute when they are full grown and it's a tough habit to break. At this stage I ALWAYS have a toy on me (I keep them in my pocket, in the play area, ect). If they start going after things they shouldn't re-direct with a toy! Plastic drinking straws are great at this age to help with teething too. Just don't leave any with the kittens unattended as they could chew off and choke on the plastic. But, supervised, straws provide hours of fun! 

This is my favorite age- where they are old enough to really start moving around and interact, but still young enough that they can be confined. Enjoy it because it goes by quick- soon they will just be little kitten blurs! 
I've actually thought about keeping Melvin for myself...I just love him! He's like the little fat kid that sits in the corner, if I could feed him chocolate cake I probably would he's that darn cute!  
Officially the best description of a kitten I have ever read! 
 The only reason I wouldn't keep him is if he and Milo are super bonded and a family will take both. Otherwise you may be doomed to fail!