Itchy dog

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom's got two dogs, and one of them is itching himself like mad, to the point where he's got scabby rash-looking things on his back (I didn't even know he could put his foot up that far). He itches himself a lot - he can often be heard thumping at random times throughout the day while he scratches.

He does not have fleas. Both my mother and I have looked him over extensively and he's not infested. He also gets checked for ticks regularly because we live in the country and even though the dogs only go outside for walks, at least once a month, both dogs will usually pick up a tick from walking under some trees.

There have been no changes in anything lately...dog's eating the same food, same treats, no new animals, no stress, same dog shampoo, no new anything. Just one day, he up and began itching and nothing makes him stop.

I don't know if my mother can afford to take him to the vet anytime too soon since money's incredibly tight, but I'd like to find out if there's some temporary relief the dog can be offered until he can be examined. What would make a dog itch that is not a parasitic infestation or an environmental change? The other dog is perfectly fine - she does not scratch (not aside from the occasional itch all dogs get on a daily basis anyway).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What food are they eating? You may not have changed food but the food may have changed via the maker

Have you had a major tempurature or climate change( ie hot to cold or snow?)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pits got very sensitive skin and breaks out. I was able to find a shampoo for him thats been helping-dont know name as the bottles label fell off. It was at petsmart and marketed for itchy/hotspot dogs. He also has a habit of peeing and laying in it(shakes head) so he gets alot of baths to keep urine off.

I agree about the point sharky made, might be worthwhile to call the companys you use for food/treats/any misc products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mom took the dog to the vet, and I guess he had some kind of minor skin infection. He got an injection and was put on an antibiotic for maybe two weeks. Thing is he still itches quite a bit, and my mother developed some kind of skin infection herself. So she had to be on something for two weeks because she began scratching herself bloody. Strange.

But the dog isn't itching himself bloody anymore, thankfully. I do still hear him thumping, though.