Itchy cats

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats and they are all scratching themselves.

They had fleas so I have given them all multiple flea treatments over the past few months at least
3 weeks apart (both revolution plus and advantage multi). They have been treated for worms as well. I comb them a few times a day with a flea comb and I am not seeing fleas or dirt. Both flea treatment also cover ear mites but their ears seem fine as well.

They eat Fancy Feast classic pate for wet food and royal canin urinary for dry. Could all 4 be sensitive to the food?

I am in Florida for the winter. I got 3 of the cats while I’m here. But even my 17 year old cat is scratching and I have NEVER had an issue with her before when I’m in Connecticut

What else could it be? I have no problem bringing them to the vet but they are so booked I can’t get in for weeks.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Those are gorgeous cats; I love the expression on their faces. You are being proactive as to the standard causes of itching which is fleas, but there are a lot of other causes, as you already said.

11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Itchy Cats: Causes and Treatment | PetMD

The first article discusses food allergies and the second gives an overview of itchiness in cats. No, your cats can't have all these conditions, but maybe one will sound like a possibility.

Is there anything else visible aside from the itching? Any other reactions to anything such as sneezing, vomiting, unusual poop? No rash or hair loss?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Those are gorgeous cats; I love the expression on their faces. You are being proactive as to the standard causes of itching which is fleas, but there are a lot of other causes, as you already said.

11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Itchy Cats: Causes and Treatment | PetMD

The first article discusses food allergies and the second gives an overview of itchiness in cats. No, your cats can't have all these conditions, but maybe one will sound like a possibility.

Is there anything else visible aside from the itching? Any other reactions to anything such as sneezing, vomiting, unusual poop? No rash or hair loss?
Thank you! I love them so much!

No sneezing, vomiting, rash or hair loss. They eat and drink and poop and play like normal. I’m new to Florida climate so maybe it’s something here. I’ll have to ask some cat owners around here.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only other thing I have changed recently is the cat litter. I switched to fresh step crystals.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This may not have anything to do with it, but if it is within the same time period, I would switch back the litter.

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be something in the environment - the place you are staying now could have dust mites or something in the air that is irritating them. My vet recommended I vacuum regularly and remove any scented candles etc in case it is something in our environment. Funnily enough, I know someone who had an itchy cat for years, then they moved house and the itching suddenly stopped!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be something in the environment - the place you are staying now could have dust mites or something in the air that is irritating them. My vet recommended I vacuum regularly and remove any scented candles etc in case it is something in our environment. Funnily enough, I know someone who had an itchy cat for years, then they moved house and the itching suddenly stopped!
I’m hoping the environment is the case. I head back to CT in a few weeks so here’s to hoping their scratching stops!

I also made a few other changes. My friend claims beef makes cat itch so I am going to remove that flavor from their lineup and stick to one flavor for now. I also switched to bottle water instead of tap water.