It was absolutely heartbreaking...

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had considered putting this thread directly in the memorial area of this forum, but I need to express what happened and how I feel about it. And, while I will start a memorial thread for Elijah, I think this is a better place to write about what happened.

Last night, as I was sitting in my bedroom writing, I heard an odd noise. It sounded like a reverse sneeze coming from one of the dogs, but it was different -- more wet with a sound of distress. And, being that the dogs were downstairs yet and the sound came from someplace closer, I got up to investigate. I checked in on the guinea pigs and they were okay. And, then, I checked in on the hamsters and, as I opened the door, heard the sound again. I ran into the room and immediately saw that my Syrian hamster, Eli, was laying on the floor of his cage...on his back. His mouth was opened and he had blood on his chest (which appeared to have come from his mouth). I ran down and called the emergency vet who said that he probably wouldn't survive the ride there. They couldn't offer an explanation of what was happening (and, of course, they couldn't because they had not seen him), but they did say that, by what I shared, he appeared to be passing away. And, not peacefully. That's the part that gets me.

I went back upstairs only to hear Eli making that horrific sound again. And, then, he stopped. He stopped moving, he stopped breathing...everything was quiet. I waited a couple of minutes and then gently picked him up. I knew then that he was gone. Not knowing what had happened, I looked him over and saw no visible signs of illness or injury. As a Syrian hamster, he lived in a large cage alone and so I know there wouldn't be injuries resulting from a fight. But, I saw nothing abnormal. He was about a year old, maybe a bit more, and, thus, was elderly. He had slowed down a bit, but would still run on his wheel and climb around his cage. And, even though he didn't eat and drink as much as he used to, he was still taking in food and fluids. There was no sign of illness beforehand, but, obviously, things were not as okay as I thought they were. After being certain that he had passed, I wrapped him in a washcloth and put him in a small, wooden box. He is currently in the freezer (as I was debating whether or not to have a necropsy done), but we will be burying him this evening. I'm upset, but I know he is no longer in pain. Watching him pass was difficult and so knowing that he is gone now is a relief. Of course, it's sad as well, but...well, I think you all understand.

I have decided against having a necropsy done. My suspicion is that he died of a blood clot. They are common in elderly hamsters. It was either that or cancer. But, regardless of how he died, I know he lived a happy life. And, that's what is most important to me. My other hamsters seem healthy and happy, but I will be watching them closely to ensure that there wasn't something more sinister at play. For now, though, I believe it was an isolated incident. He did not have an easy start to life, but I know that I did right by him. And, that gives me comfort during this time. I have decided that, once my hamsters have all passed, I will not be adopting others. I may foster, but adopting and having them in my life is incredibly difficult. They have such short lifespans and, after watching Elijah pass last night, I don't know if I could go through something that terrible again. I have three remaining hamsters -- another Syrian named Sampson who is about 9-10 months old and two Roborovski hamsters named Brady and Brewster who are approximately the same age. Sampson has, hopefully, another year or more left and the little guys can live to be up to four years old. I love them all, but after losing Eli, I'm afraid to lose the others.

I have never had a hamster pass in such a traumatic way. I know he will play happilow over at the rainbow bridge, but it's difficult nonetheless. I adored him -- he was such a sweet and gentle boy. And, that being said, I guess all that's left to say is: Rest in peace, Eli.

Elijah
Satin Black-eyed Cream Syrian Hamster
2009-2010

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of wheel did he have? And did he ever climb up on top of it as some hamsters are prone to doing?

I had a ~4 1/2 year old golden that I had to have put to sleep. He was surprisingly spry in his old age and the best I can tell is that he climbed up on top his wheel (it was a smooth one, not wire) and fell breaking a leg. He was just too old to survive any sort of treatment for it and it was just deemed best to let him go.
(if you're curious as to how I got him to live so long all I can assume is that it was because I gave him a very varied diet)

I'm sorry you lost Elijah.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words...

All of my hamsters have solid wheels. I will not allow them to have non-solid wheels as they are dangerous should their feet get caught in the grates. I had the Super Pet Silent Spinner wheel in Eli's cage. He never was one to climb on top of his wheel, but I am sure he did it often and I just didn't happen to see him. Since they are nocturnal, I'm sure there is a lot that I didn't see. But, if he did climb on top of his wheel and then slip or fall off, he wouldn't have had a long way to fall as his wheel was toward the bottom of the cage (for that reason). But, I have considered that he may have fallen and that caused his death. However, I still get the impression that there was something else at play. But, the truth is, without a necropsy, I may never know the exact cause of Elijah's death.

Eli had a rough start to life. He was rescued from a hoarding situation. He may have been older or younger than the vet's estimate, but he was a good hamster. He beat the odds (many of the other hamsters were either euthanized or had died either prior to or after their rescue) and became a cherished pet. I have had many hamsters in my time and Elijah was one of the sweetest, most docile I have ever had the chance to know. He would always come up to the bars of his cage and beg for treats (homemade baked timothy biscuits or a small sample of veggies). And, he loved to climb on me. His favorite activity was climbing up and down my arms and burrowing inside of my sleeves. When he first came to me, I expected only to foster him, but the death of a gerbil I rescued from the same hoarding situation had me deciding to adopt all of my fosters. And, I'm so glad that I did. My hamsters have been through a lot, but they have always proven to be grateful for their second chance at life. And, knowing that I gave Eli that opportunity does bring me peace. But, I still miss him terribly.

When I went into the hamster room this morning to feed and water everyone, I was heartbroken to see Elijah's cage empty. I've since washed and sanitized it. I plan on donating it to the animal shelter so that it can be used for another hamster or gerbil in need. I just can't see having another one of my hamsters in his cage. And, Eli is not a hamster I can replace (not that any pet is able to be replaced). If I do choose to foster or adopt again, I will buy and customize a new cage. It's just too painful to see his cage, sitting empty, on the shelf in the spare bedroom. I've had many hamsters and Eli was special to me. Well, they all are, but Elijah and I had a bond that I've only experienced with one other hamster. Harry lived to be just over 4 years old. I had hoped Eli would live that long as well, but I suppose it wasn't meant to be. At least he has Harry over at the rainbow bridge -- they can play happily together and then rest contentedly with one another. And, I know my other hamsters and gerbils (fosters and otherwise) are there as well. There is a certain joy in that, but, I don't know if I can feel joy just yet.

Thank you again for your kindness. Eli was a special boy and he is missed...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be surprised if his past took a bit of a toll on him.

It's good to know you dislike wire wheels, too! Those stupid things shouldn't even be made and sold.

And you never replace a pet, it simply doesn't happen. You can go on to give your love and care to others but it's never a replacement. It's just giving what you have to give.
Maybe you'll feel you're needed again for another little hamster someday.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hun, I am so sorry for your loss, its heartbreaking, my mum had a beautiful hamster and she was devestated when she passed.