It this true?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Kenz...I'm pretty sure I can answer your question. Dad's business is 'incorporated'. He has to pay unemployment. I am 99.9% sure that you will get unemployment.
i once worked for a travel agency that was basically a one-client company. the company switched agencies, the agency went completely out of business...but i got unemployment. i agree with white cat lover.

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
http://www.policyalmanac.org/social_...ensation.shtml

This should explain some of it. It's a little hard to read in parts, but I think it comes down to these things:

* you have to have been fired or laid off (and it can't be due to misconduct)
* you have to prove you are actively seeking a job
* you may have to prove you've worked a certain amount of time or earned a certain amount of money

They do mention something about working for a covered employer, but they don't go into detail what a covered employer is. What may matter is the size of the business you work at. Do they employ 10 or more people? I know for my job, where it's just me and my boss, certain federal laws don't apply because we're so small. I don't know if qualifications for unemployment hinge on something like that though. Again, the best person to talk to would be someone from your local unemployment office. I'm sure they can look up your business and tell you if the employees will qualify for unemployment payments.

Sorry this is happening to you.

~Julia

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 9 of us including the 2 owners and we would have to pay unemployment if an employee were laid off.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get fired or laid off you will qualify for unemployment. If you quit however, you won't....so be careful whatever you do.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked for a fortune "5" company and after my severance pay runs out end of Sept I could qualify for unemployment but since I started my own business in the meantime I probably don't qualify for unemployment any more.