It Never Ends! Now My Cookie Is Sick Too.

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mochi is no longer sick and is flourishing! Now Cookie is having a virus outbreak too (maybe the stress of a new cat in the house)? She rarely has them but this one seems pretty bad. She doesn't have a stuffy nose, coughing, or sneezing but has little sores on her lips. They aren't oozing or bleeding or infected. She has a vet appointment at 2:00 today.

I tried asking for this advice on a Facebook group but nobody was answering my actual questions. I apologize for asking so many things on here!

1. She cries a little when she eats because the sores hurt. Would it be out of line to ask my vet for a mild painkiller so she can eat? If so, what are safe painkillers for cats? I know one is sometimes prescribed but isn't safe. I can't remember the name.

2. She will NOT touch wet food. I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried different brands, flavours, and textures. I've tried heating it, serving it room temperature, and serving it cold. I've tried pureeing it with kitten formula or water. I've tried mixing it with dry food AND with treats. As such, I've been trying to syringe feed her kitten formula and pureed wet food but it's a struggle and stresses her out. Is there something I can do to get her to eat wet food while she's sick?

3. Cookie has had herpes since we got her as a kitten. Is this the herpes virus or is it definitely Calicivirus because of the sores? She has all her vaccines. Is this something the vet can tell us?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, it would not be out of line to ask for a painkiller. Metacam can be used in cats but only short term, however that may be long enough for her to get over her sore mouth. Buprenorphin is safe; it’s a narcotic, but your vet may give it to you if it’s needed to keep her eating.

On the calicivirus/herpes question, most adult cats are vaccinated against it, so my guess would be herpes if it’s infectious. Could also be rodent ulcer (eosinophilic granuloma).

Good luck with Cookie. Sending her get better vibes. Do let us know what the vet thinks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have been trying to transition my cat, Hekitty, from dry to wet food for YEARS, with no success. I know how trying it is to syringe-feed a sick cat, and how stressful for them, and I know that herpes is, to some extent, stress-related, so you have a Catch-22 situation. You might be better with the pain meds, and letting her eat what she likes in this particular case.

You might try brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling in the fridge, and dabbing it on the sores. It is VERY soothing for all kinds of skin "ouchies" in man and beast. Just use the tea bags from the grocery store, as those are German chamomile. The English variety is almost useless medicinally, and is toxic to cats.

Afterthought here about the tea...it can be given internally to cats, as well, 1-3 teaspoonfuls up to 3 times a day (up to 3 tablespoonfuls for very large cats). It is a mild calming agent, which, if this is stress-related at all, might actually help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the vet did a full blood panel to make sure the sores on her mouth weren't caused by kidney issues since she isn't showing any other signs of herpes or calicivirus. Her blood work came back great! The only thing that was a little off was an antibody level that the vet said is due to her being sick. So, she gave us five days worth of Metacam in little syringes to give her once a day so she can eat. Poor thing did lose a little weight in the two days she's been sick so far. She also gave us Clavamox for 10 days (half a pill twice a day). So far, she did eat some dry food, a treat, and she drank some KMR kitten formula mixed with lysine gel. The vet does think it's a virus such as calicivirus despite the fact that she doesn't have a runny nose or coughing/sneezing. Thank you everyone! I will be certain to try the chamomile as well. It can't hurt! :)