It is going to take a ton of effort to NOT go here and rescue all the babies!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just researching the Amish Puppy Mills that take place like 2 hours from my house, they are all over the place here. Oh it is so sick! I read the story from a local rescue group that went to this event to specifically rescue some dogs. A Weimeraner scared out of his mind huddled in the back of his cage. Oh man I would just burst into tears if I went there! Someday though, I will go I am sure. It is so sad. Look at that, "Back to the Kennel" sale! RRGG!

Buckeye Dog Auction Coming Events for 2007

February 23-24: Special Back to the Kennel Sale, Two-day sale
Friday, dogs sell at 6:00 pm
Saturday, dogs sell at 10:00 am
*No outside consignments will be taken. This is a special sale from selected kennels.
*There will be mostly small breeds and they will be breeding age or younger.

March 10: Regular Consignment Sale
Dogs sell at 10:00 am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry, it's about dogs, but I thought it belonged in SOS, maybe it should be in Cats and other Animals... move it if needed please.

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where in Ohio is this?? I wonder how much these dogs usually are auctioned off for!! I wish this were monitored more stictly! how sad!

I am a dog lover, and this totally breaks my heart!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's in Millersburg, OH

i think they go for like hundreds of dollars. There was a story I read about and they said that they list the dogs by when they are expected to go into heat next. The one's that have a sooner date usually go faster

Another sad one was about a Schnauzer that was very very pregnant and she was heald up high over the crowd for everone to get a good look at her. I can't imagine how traumatic that must have been for not only an already scared to death dog, but a very ready to pop pregnant one too!

I was thinking though, there are rescues going in there to save some, but they raise the money to buy them. Wouldn't that sort of be supporting the puppy mills? I mean, might as well go buy one from a mall pet shop! They don't care what you do with them, just that you buy them. Even if it is a rescue buying them, they are still giving money to the auction allowing room for more puppies to come into the picture. It doesn't really make sense.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I was thinking though, there are rescues going in there to save some, but they raise the money to buy them. Wouldn't that sort of be supporting the puppy mills? I mean, might as well go buy one from a mall pet shop! They don't care what you do with them, just that you buy them. Even if it is a rescue buying them, they are still giving money to the auction allowing room for more puppies to come into the picture. It doesn't really make sense.
There is a LOT of controversy surrounding rescues who "buy"/"save" puppy mill dogs.

Katie

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the way I look at it is that at least those dogs will never have to go through the hell of being bred time after time and the puppies that are rescued get out of the cages, but that's just MO

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I feel that the controversy lies in the way that the rescues go about rescuing the puppy mill puppies...if they are paying full price for the animals in an effort to save the already existing animals...this is WRONG!!! What they are basically doing, is supporting the puppy mills, and encouraging to keep producing their "cash crop." By purchasing the puppies, it's kind of like saying, "Okay, we've bought these, now crank out some more puppies for us to have to buy, so that they're rescued too!" I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Really and truly, the only way that anyone can stop puppy mills, is to STOP BUYING PET STORE PUPPIES, and QUIT BUYING THE PUPPIES DIRECTLY FROM THE MILLS. By reducing the demand for breeding them, and reducing/eliminating the profit, puppy mills will no longer have a purpose. Now, this is highly unrealistic that everyone across the country will quit purchasing these puppies...but by increasing awareness of the situation, we can definitely begin to snuff these operations out.