It brings tears to my eyes!

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Topaz is a good boy about using his litter box. I live in a small apartment and I clean the litter every day. I have tried many types of litter and I am currently using Arm & Hammer Multi Cat. No matter which brand I buy, in about 10 days my apartment smells of urine. The stench is very strong. I am doing everything right from what I can tell.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

As always - Thanks to my friends on the catsite!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About once a week, dump out all the litter, scrub the box down with hot, soapy water and refill it with fresh litter.
At the beginning of the week, I replace the scooped litter with a bit of fresh each time, but towards the end of the week I stop doing that so the cats can use up what is in the box. Also, if I see pee on the plastic inside the box, I'll wipe it off with toilet paper when I scoop.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try mixing a dash of baking soda in the cat litter after you scoop. If that is not enough, get those odor absorbers which are placed near the box. 

It is also possible that when Topaz urinates, he sprays some on the sides of the box. You will have to wash the box once a week. 

Last edited:

my2wins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might try the Pellet box. I can't think of the name off hand but here's a picture. I have two in my house plus 2 regular boxes. It does a terrific job of masking urine smell. The downside is that the poop doesn't get fully covered so you don't get the benefit of a courtesy flush when kitty goes #2

(Caveat: If your cat gets diarrhea this is not a good option. It's not well equipped for the runs).

But if your number 1 issue is burning eyes from urine, this may help.

I'd loan you one of mine to test drive if you were local to me. Let me know where you are.

If you end up trying it, I found that the best cost for replacement pads is buying a case via amazon auto ship.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I assume Topaz is neutered; un-neutered cats' urine can smell strong.

It *could* be a medical problem, too.  Are you positive he is not peeing outside the box?  (Ritz' [female] urine sometimes smells strong, I think it's partly related to the protein I feed her.)