Issues With The Trash And My Cat

Peachypaige95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Hey! I'm having trash can problems! I wake to the house destroyed. And I'm thinking about getting a kennel and leave them locked up while we are asleep & we leave the house.

I have two cats that I have had for about a year. I have left the cats alone in the house every weekday when I went to work with no problems. A few weeks ago, one of my cats apparently discovered the trash can in the kitchen (it has always been there) and ever since he is almost constantly standing on his hind legs trying to get into the trash and tearing at the bag. Several times already he has knocked the entire trash can over spilling garbage all over the floor while I am gone and he has even done it twice while I was out of the area for a few minutes taking a shower (most recently this morning). No matter what I do I cannot get him to stop. It is extremely frustrating because I now cannot even leave the kitchen without carrying the garbage can across the house and locking it in the bathroom where the cats cannot get at it. (I have two cats but Hobbes is the one who is overly curious and always picking at the garbage.) I have read that the proper way to discipline cats is to ignore them but I obviously can't ignore them spilling trash all over the floor. What can I do to get them to stop this? I can't always be locking either the cats or the garbage can away every time I leave the house or take a shower.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry that your cat has started spilling trash over the floor. Is he looking for food? Or is it just his new form of "fun"?

I don't think locking 2 adult cats in a kennel all night long, and when you are out of the house, would go over well with them, especially since they're used to having the run of the house. Is there a way to lock the garbage can in a cupboard? Or closet? Just until he gets over his new obsession.

Hopefully some other members will reply with other ideas. Meanwhile, here's an older TCS thread on the same topic, which might have some tips for you.

Cat proof kitchen trash?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Rubbermaid garbage can with a locking lid that I love. I think it was something like $17. If they try to tip it over you can screw a large size plant hoop to the wall a few feet up and set the wastebasket inside it.