Issues With Teething Kitten

anapaula0324

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Smokey recently got neutered ( yay ! :) ) He's healing well and it's been almost a week so we are past the danger zone. Now however he's having issues with his teeth. For a while he had both his adult and baby canine out. Both baby teeth fell out over these last couple of days but now the adult ones seem to be causing him issues with his gums.

The best way to describe it is that the adult canines seem not to fit. So prolly some inflammation going on. I just checked and it looks like the bottom of the canines are rubbing against his lower gums and it looks painful. I'm not sure if there's something I can do to help him but I'd welcome any advice.

Going to attach a picture but I'm not sure if you guys will be able to see what I'm talking about clearly ( also he's totally fine with the way I was handling him. I wasn't hurting him at all just wanted to get he best pic possible )

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anapaula0324

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also he's eating less which is why I believe he is in pain. He eats pate wet food and I free feed dry. He hasn't touched the dry which is understandable. He's eating around 5.5 ounces of wet food or less. And drinking water. Also using the litter box.

Attachments

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teething is a painful time for most kittens. My own stopped eating as much during that time too. Your boy is still eating a full can of food a day, so that's not extremely worrying. However, if you are worried about the adult canines rubbing at the lower gums I would consult your vet. My boy had the same situation, but it resolved itself when either his gums toughened up or maybe the adult tooth just grew in fully and stopped rubbing. It was nerve-wrecking trying to get him to continue eating as much as he had before starting to teethe, but eventually he got his appetite back a few days later. There are a couple of short article regarding teething and sore gums that I found helpful when I was worried about some of my boy's symptoms.

Tips to Survive Kitten Teething
Kitten Teething: What You Need to Know
How to Help Your Kitten With Teething - Catological (This one has a 'Helpful Ideas' section that I really liked)

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You can wait it out and try some of the things suggested in the articles, or if his pain seems too long-lasting/intense you can take him to a vet. I do hope he starts to feel better soon though. I know how hard it can be to watch them in pain, even if it's a completely natural part of life type of pain. Best of luck to you both!

(BTW, super cute kitten! :hearthrob: )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anapaula0324

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Teething is a painful time for most kittens. My own stopped eating as much during that time too. Your boy is still eating a full can of food a day, so that's not extremely worrying. However, if you are worried about the adult canines rubbing at the lower gums I would consult your vet. My boy had the same situation, but it resolved itself when either his gums toughened up or maybe the adult tooth just grew in fully and stopped rubbing. It was nerve-wrecking trying to get him to continue eating as much as he had before starting to teethe, but eventually he got his appetite back a few days later. There are a couple of short article regarding teething and sore gums that I found helpful when I was worried about some of my boy's symptoms.

Tips to Survive Kitten Teething
Kitten Teething: What You Need to Know
How to Help Your Kitten With Teething - Catological (This one has a 'Helpful Ideas' section that I really liked)

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You can wait it out and try some of the things suggested in the articles, or if his pain seems too long-lasting/intense you can take him to a vet. I do hope he starts to feel better soon though. I know how hard it can be to watch them in pain, even if it's a completely natural part of life type of pain. Best of luck to you both!

(BTW, super cute kitten! :hearthrob: )
Thank you :) he's an awesome little guy ..although not exactly so little now lol he is at 8 pounds currently. He actually tried some dry food yesterday or overnight , not sure exactly when but it is encouraging. I'm going to have a look through the links you provided. Hopefully we can avoid the vet as he gets stressed out being outside in his carrier. But that is definitely my next option if it looks like his gums are getting worse and not better. Thanks for your reply and help :)