Issues with regular Wellness

shadera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 year old ragdoll, Vinnie, has been having some issues lately. I suspect it's the food. His stools have been pretty soft lately, and at times even liquidy.

He's currently on Wellness Indoor formula, with a 3 oz can of wet food every other day. Also Wellness (chicken), and usually with Missing Link mixed in. The soft poops started before the addition of the canned food and continued after a pause in giving him that for several weeks to see if that was contributing. He's been eating the Wellness Indoor since we got him in May of 09. He eats approximately 1/2 cup of kibble per day.

He's been vetted, and it's not parasites or illness that we can determine.

May I have some suggestions as to where to start and some possible brands? Money's not an object, and I order online so the sky's the limit. I just want my boy to have some firmer poops. I've done a bit of research on my own through some web hunting, but the wide array of choices out there just has me confused.

Thank you!

Here's his current food info:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Whitefish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Chicken Liver, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, BetaCarotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, L-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophil us, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 30.0%
Crude Fat
Not Less Than 12.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 5.0%
Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
Ash Not More Than 6.5%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.098%
Vitamin E Not Less Than 300 IU/kg
Taurine Not Less Than 0.2%
L-Carnitine* Not Less Than 100 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acid* Not Less Than 3.00 %
Omega 3 Fatty Acid* Not Less Than 0.50 %
Glucosamine Hydrochloride* Not Less Than 400 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate* Not Less Than 300 mg/kg
Total Micro-Organisms* Not Less Than 80,000,000 CFU/lb

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you DISCUSSED this with Your VET with the timeframe of the poop issues? At 9 yrs old I would be having bloodwork done ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it has been discussed. A full blood panel was done just a couple of months ago and showed no issues. They suggested Science Diet, but then again they also sell the stuff.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what other foods are avail to you?

shadera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Between the local pet warehouse and the internet, I can get hold of anything. I tend to order off the net because I can buy in bulk much cheaper that way.

I've been reading back through old threads regarding feeding, and am intrigued by one I've seen you recommend a couple other times. I like the simplicity of it.

California Natural

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins, Potassium Chloride, Minerals, Taurine, DL-Methionine), Rosemary Extract

Moisture10.00%
Protein 36.00%
Fat16.00%
Fiber 3.50%

I'm open to any and all suggestions, and will definitely be consulting with my vet before making any drastic changes. I'm definitely going to give probiotics a shot, couldn't hurt? For some reason I was thinking the Missing Link contained that, but looking at the bag closer today I see that it does not, so I can probably discontinue that.

He very much enjoys his canned Wellness food, or any other canned we've tried him on for that matter, and since I noticed no change whether he gets that or not, I'll probably keep him on that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Missing link is full of things IMHO kitty does not need... Bene bac is a simple probiotic avail at most pet stores ( you may have to look in small animals).... it is simple to give , power on food or a tube of gel that tastes yummy( according to most cats)

Califonia natural is a easy one to try to see if simple works
.. Yes always discuss with vet

Wet is a very good thing to keep in the diet

look up Acana ... they are usually two meat formulas thus fairly simple and no grain

shadera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the help, and the advice. It's much appreciated.