Issues when switching from premade to homemade raw

briannanikole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens, one is a Ragdoll and one I found at work. They're about 15 weeks old and have been eating premade raw as long as I've had them and have done fine. I was feeding them primal brand and rotating flavors. I recently switched to making my own raw and supplementing with alnutrin, following the recipe on the bag. Ever since the switch, the Ragdoll has had smelly, horrible diarrhea. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if Alnutrin doesn't agree with your ragdoll. I know of one cat who breaks out in itchy hot spots on Alnutrin. What protein are you using? Has the ragdoll eaten this before in Primal? Did you do a slow food transition?

Maybe go back to the Primal for now and look into using something else than Alnutrin. Are you just using boneless organless raw meat with the regular Alnutrin? If so, you can try TC Feline or Better In The Raw. If you're using raw meat with bone and organ, I'm not sure of any other premix that you can use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannanikole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started them on chicken. It was one that they were eating regularly with primal. I ordered the better in the raw supplement to try. I'm hoping it helps. I'll put her back on the primal until it gets here.

duelingspectra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you switch them over gradually to the new food? Suddenly changing foods or brands can shock their system and make them ill. The best way is to slowly introduce the new food by mixing a bit of it in with what you've already been feeding them. Gradually increase the amount of the new, and reduce the old brand until they're completely switched over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannanikole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did transition them over, because they were hesitant to eat the chunks at first. Do you think I should put her back on the old food and see if it clears it up? Then re transition her over once the "better in the raw" stuff gets here?. I just feel so bad for her. She gets totally covered in smelly poo and I end up having to bathe her almost daily.