Issues Between Resident Cats And New Cat

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our new kitty, Mochi, was in isolation for almost two weeks when we got her. She was getting over a URI and some other issues. So, we had her in our bedroom with her own litter, food, toys, etc. When we got the go-ahead from the vet we decided to introduce them slowly. We have a big catio (screened-in porch) with cat toys, tables, and cat trees. It's pretty neutral territory so we introduced them at first through one of the screen doors (I have four other kitties). Everything went fine. There was some minor hissing but nothing major. The next day, we brought Mochi out onto the catio with the others. There was no hissing but the resident cats seemed a little weirded out by her. Again, nothing major. But, now they've been together for almost a week and there are some really random issues. I'm not sure whether they are territory issues or what. Any insight?

- Mochi and my oldest cat (who I call the alpha cat because she's pretty much the boss) are fine together. Both female. They avoid each other for the most part but tolerate each other's presence.

- Mochi and my youngest cat (who is super shy and timid) have a "meh" relationship. Cookie is afraid of Mochi but is warming up. Mochi tolerates her but tends to get agitated if Cookie runs or meows.

- Mochi and my male cat do NOT get along. My male is a huge cat but he is a gentle giant and was the first to approach her with no hissing or anything. He loves new cats. She will ignore him but if he goes up to her, or if he runs around playing, she loses it and attacks him with full on cat-screams and hissing. My male cat, of course, just runs away because he isn't confrontational.

- Mochi and my other male cat are ok for the most part. They will lay in close proximity but there are instances where Mochi will randomly attack him, usually after attacking the other male cat.

Any ideas? What should I do? Will this resolve itself with time?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little hissing, growling or swatting is nothing to worry about and will improve with time. It might also improve on its own here, but Mochi seems to be at another level here. It might be ok since the big cat ignores her outbursts, but what if he gets hurt and decides to fight back? If it were me, I would either back up and do a reintroduction specifically focused on these two cats

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

or maybe try to add some calming products such as feliway multicat diffuser -- which seems hit or miss as to whether it works or does nothing. I'd also limit them to supervised time together at present. Don't want to risk letting a real fight rage.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, you're doing pretty well, especially after so short a time. I know it feels like forever, but...if I am reading the time line right, we're talking about a TOTAL of three weeks, including the isolaion time. That is a bit of nothing in the world of cat introductions. They usually take several weeks, and I've know some successful ones that took MONTHS. Keep supervising them, as A ArtNJ says, but don't step in TOO quickly. The more they work this out themselves, the more solid their future relationships will be. Be aware that not all cats become best buds. Sometimes peaceful coexistence is the best we can manage. The above articles are VERY good, and may well turn the tide here, as well.