Issue with Kitten

HayleyJade83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter of 6 week old kittens, they are all active and healthy except tonight one of the girls started to make a choking/coughing motion and went a little bit limp, after the episode she was shaking and pupils dilated but I gave her a little bit of honey and then she fed off of mum and even wanted to eat kitten food(I made sure not to feed her too much just incase) but I am still really worried about her,her pupils have returned to normal but she is more lethargic that her usual bouncy self
I will be taking her to the vet but just wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and get some advice as to what is going on

It was like she was choking/gagging but her tongue wasn't sticking out and she was breathing,but did go a bit limp this lasted a few minutes

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,
Hopefully it was something relatively benign but it's good you're taking her to the vet just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HayleyJade83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if it maybe worms as I have read that worms can cause similar symptoms but I'm not sure, she still isn't herself but I can't see a vet until morning so I am going to monitor her tonight and give honey if needed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she needs to be de-wormed, but hoping it was just a single episode of nothing too serious. Please let us know what the vet says. The fact she has since eaten is good, and giving her the honey was wise. I hope she will be okay!

HayleyJade83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she needs to be de-wormed, but hoping it was just a single episode of nothing too serious. Please let us know what the vet says. The fact she has since eaten is good, and giving her the honey was wise. I hope she will be okay!

I am hoping so to, the other 4 kittens seem to be acting completely normal
I am just praying it's nothing serious but she wouldn't eat or nurse if she was really unwell would she? and her eyes would be still dilated

I love her so much, I saved her mum along with 2 female 6-7 month old kittens from a previous litter plus a male 12-14 month old also from a previous litter from a relative. I have had the male desexed and have booked in mum plus the 2 older girls in a few weeks to also be desexed
We didn't know mum was pregnant when I took her until she had a kitten on my lap :( poor girl only looks like she is a baby herself

Attachments

HayleyJade83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are the older black male and the 6 month old tabby female , we are keeping the male and have named him Onyx and will keep mum and possibly one of the babies
The others I am hoping to be able to foster through a no kill rescue until they find homes

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing these cats and kittens! I am unable to re-home any cats or kittens that I rescue and have kept them all - so I have 9 cats! Welcome to the club!

Thank you also for setting up spays and neuters. All of mine are done. 😊

HayleyJade83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty is so much better today although still not quite herself, she is still very sleepy but has been playing. I took mum and all 5 kittens to the vet for a check up and to see what's going on with baby girl(now named Freja), they all received worm treatment and some tests were done on Freja, her blood sugar level was a little low which could be the reason for her shaking and lethargy so giving the honey overnight was definitely the right decision but mum has some intestinal worms so kittens would have them also

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad you got them wormed. Did the vet tell you they need a second dose in about 10 days? It’s to fully cover the life cycle of the worms. I hope they all continue to do well!

HayleyJade83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they did ask me to bring them back to be rewormed and also for vaccinations