Is your street clean?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I live in a large residential development, about 400 houses. We have very narrow streets. In the nearly 6 years I've lived here, I don't recall ever seeing any type of trash in the streets. I just realized that!

No, I take that back...ironically, it's the trash collecting company that leaves trash in the streets. Seriously. They have automatic arms that pick up the huge trash cans we're issued, and stuff often drops out, and they just leave it. What gets me angry is they leave little stickers on your trash can should the lid be even a tiny bit bulging. "It defeats the purpose of the mechanical arm", was the exact quote on the nasty letter they send us. I made a point of watching this one day. They had no problem whatsoever. They also just dump your trash can haphazardly in your driveway, so that, when you arrive home from work, you have to park your car in the street, get out, and move the can, then pull into your driveway. They also often dump the cans in the street itself. Half the time, they don't bother picking up the recycling bins, even though everything in mine was recyclable. They've now issued HUGE, lidded recycling bins, that contain a chip to track us. Welcome to the gulag, comrades! I don't mind recycling, but I do resent the Big Brother microchip. What's next, monitoring our toilet paper usage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I live in a large residential development, about 400 houses. We have very narrow streets. In the nearly 6 years I've lived here, I don't recall ever seeing any type of trash in the streets. I just realized that!
400 houses and no trash, can hardly believe it. Do you live in America?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

400 houses and no trash, can hardly believe it. Do you live in America?
Sometimes, I wonder this myself!
Seriously, if there is anything, it must be tiny bits, here and there on the side of the streets. I've just never noticed anything. Everyone keeps their yards tidy, too. Must be a neighborhood thing! (Actually, we have a homeowner's association. Maybe the fear of them swooping down controls the trash?)